• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Those damn points

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
My observation has been that players with lower ranks tend to make more mistakes, including ones that are not only detrimental to themselves but to certain of their opponents as well. For example (and this happened to me more than once recently), if someone eliminates me but in doing so, weakens himself too much, such that he himself gets eliminated, I have probably lost due to a mistake that a high-ranked player would not have made.

If a player does that to me, I am reluctant to play in games with them, especially if I see them constantly making bad choices and mistakes. It's not always about the points.

Now it just happened again. My attacker didn't have enough armies left, and he lost the game. I was a front-runner when he took me out, upon turning in a set in an escalate game.

If this bugs me, it must affect others like me who would prefer to stay higher on the scoreboard.

My point being, I think this is a valid reason for avoiding games with mid and low-score players that I don't know. I'll take my chances in the tournaments, but in selecting games to join, this is a factor for me.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
I would also consider having a game option where no points would be awarded for winning, no points lost for losing. These could be considered "training" games, and would allow generals et al to mentor newer or low score players at no cost.

One of the members of my clan recently suggested having an internal clan game where we could discuss strategies and thereby improve our skills. A training game option would facilitate this idea as well.

No one has commented on my original post regarding this idea. Who has an opinion on this idea?

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
One of the members of my clan recently suggested having an internal clan game where we could discuss strategies and thereby improve our skills. A training game option would facilitate this idea as well.

No one has commented on my original post regarding this idea. Who has an opinion on this idea?

Now it just happened again. My attacker didn't have enough armies left, and he lost the game. I was a front-runner when he took me out, upon turning in a set in an escalate game.

If this bugs me, it must affect others like me who would prefer to stay higher on the scoreboard.

My point being, I think this is a valid reason for avoiding games with mid and low-score players that I don't know. I'll take my chances in the tournaments, but in selecting games to join, this is a factor for me.

I agree with this, one of the reasons I don't play very much any more. The Generals clan play amongst themselves for this reason which is great for them but not so great for the site. It's almost a site within a site.

Originally Posted by kenjoh View Post
I would also consider having a game option where no points would be awarded for winning, no points lost for losing. These could be considered "training" games, and would allow generals et al to mentor newer or low score players at no cost.

This is a very good idea.

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
What would actually happen is that players' scores would rise a bit less when they won, and their scores would fall a bit less when they lost. Over time, there would be a little less movement up and down. But in theory, because the loss of points is less, playing lower ranked players should be a bit less of a concern to higher ranked players. The bottom line is: is it worth tinkering with the scoring formula (much like a Federal bank tinkers with interest rates to influence economic activity) to try to motivate the generals et al to play down the ranks a bit more?

The same would happen if you'd give everyone 50 %, since the number of points gained per game remains the same in this scenario. In both scenerarios, the number of games needed to reach a relative position would rise by the same amount. The difference would be purely cosmetic. It's all about the ratio of (average points gained per game)/(current score).

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I agree with this, one of the reasons I don't play very much any more. The Generals clan play amongst themselves for this reason which is great for them but not so great for the site. It's almost a site within a site.

This is a very good idea.

I agree that this would be a nice option, you would have to also make it so that a game like this would not count towards UDO or anything else. Once it is done it is like it never happened.

Oggyyy

Awesome Player
The Borg
I agree that this would be a nice option, you would have to also make it so that a game like this would not count towards UDO or anything else. Once it is done it is like it never happened.

"Friendly" games - I like it.

We could perhaps be restricted to one "Friendly" game at a time - to both allow tutoring/none competitive games but also to prevent people "protecting" there scores.

Obviously like engineer said, no points, no medals, no udos

palmono

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Loved the idea of 'friendly games'. It has my support.

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
Loved the idea of 'friendly games'. It has my support.

I think this would be great, but who do we ask to actually create this possibility/option? If it's possible, as of when, where, ...

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
It's not something that's going to be done using the current game engine. When the new engine is finished, it may be included as a feature.

wwwjr

Awesome Player
When is the game going to get fixed so that it loads properly?

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
It loads fine for me, so maybe it's a problem you have, wwwjr.

About friendly games, I would make all 1vs.1 friendly. Apart from the basics that you learn in 10 or 20 games, they don't require any strategy. Although they are barely related to risk, I wouldn't eliminate them because they can be fun and a good way of killing time, but they could be a special section with no points or medals or all the rest involved.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
About friendly games, I would make all 1vs.1 friendly. Apart from the basics that you learn in 10 or 20 games, they don't require any strategy. Although they are barely related to risk, I wouldn't eliminate them because they can be fun and a good way of killing time, but they could be a special section with no points or medals or all the rest involved.

I don't see that happening. There are a lot of people who enjoy 1v1, you're not one of them, apparently, but to each his/her own.

empirejeff

Awesome Player
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
1 vs 1 games are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
I don't see that happening. There are a lot of people who enjoy 1v1, you're not one of them, apparently, but to each his/her own.

I'm going to repeat myself: they may be enjoyable, but as they don't require skill, they shouldn't be rewarded.

(I know some people think there is a lot of skill involved, but there is no evidence for that, in my opinion).

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
You can repeat yourself as many times as you want, but your suggestion that all 1v1 games be made "friendly" is NEVER going to happen.

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
No, i wouldn't do it either if i ran the site, rewarded 1vs1 give a chance of getting easy points and all the rest with a quick learning. I was just answering to the idea of how to mix ranks in games (and making the rewards fairer at the same time), about which i'm not specially interested anyway. Just a suggestion.

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
Well, as i said they require the basics: get commands, break your enemy's, don't use the sets too soon... Pretty easy for anyone who has played 20 or 30 times.

With 2 players who know that, luck decides so it's pointless who wins or loses, it doesn't prove anything. Sometimes, even without the basics: in fact it is the only mode where it is possible to win just by attacking your enemy randomly.

Of course luck is the most important factor in other games too, but normally you need to think more.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
With 2 players who know that, luck decides so it's pointless who wins or loses, it doesn't prove anything.

Luck is obviously a huge factor, but I don't see the logical conclusion that therefore it must require no (or negligible) skill.

Would you think that poker requires no skill either?

Anyway, I think you are in the right place actually, as on majcom there is a lot of statistical data available on this.

If what you said was true, i.e. 1v1 required no skill, than the established players would all have almost identical win ratios. As far as I know, this is not the case, hence what you say must be wrong.

Just to prove your point, I'd urge you to seek out one of the guys with a good ratio, and challenge her/him to play, let's say, a 100 games. If at the end you win 48-50-52 (not more, not less), I guess you proved your point. I'd enjoy watching how this ends up, so pls do. :)

I wish ILBD was here.

Last edited:

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
Your idea wouldn't prove much, if i have the first turn in 55 games and better starting dice in 60 games i would win many more than 50, for instance.

This discussion always ends with myself being sent to play hundreds of games i don't like :) I would like to see one skill factor related to 1vs1 apart from the obvious. They must be secret :)