• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

The dice, the dice, the dice

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
There is some very valuable information on how the the dice work in the Wiki here:

https://www.majorcommand.com/wiki/Nature_of_Dice_Luck_and_Streaks

A lot of people either skim through it or miss the following most critical information:

The attacker has a slight advantage when rolling:

4 or more Troops vs 2 or more Troops (Three dice against Two dice)
4 or more Troops vs 1 Troop (Three dice against One die)
3 or more Troops vs 1 Troop (Two dice against One die)

Otherwise, the defender has an advantage when the attacker rolls:

3 Troops vs 2 Troops (Two dice against Two dice)
2 Troops vs 2 Troops (One dice against Two dice) < I bet you didn't know this!
2 Troops vs 1 Troops (One dice against One dice)

If you are considering an attack based on the last 3 options, I question why? Would you go into a gun fight with a knife?

But, but but...the defender will always win the tie...let that sink in and then re-read the info above again.

Do you want to know why the same players are always sitting at the top of the leader board?

They understand the above information very well. They don't play with emotion, they play the odds...very well.

This goes for the same players that always sit around the middle...they don't know this and play like a chancer.

Last edited:

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
90% chance a 3v2 attack fails to succeed. And within that 10% chance of success, most only survive with one troop.

Love to see 3v2s by opponents. Head shake inducing by teammates.

Of course with dice you never know. Playing 1v1 on Duck & Cover once, opponent rolled every single possible attacker first turn (4v3,3v3,3v2,2v1), and almost knocked me out before I even played. I was down to 3 or 4 troops.

However, opponent continued tact in subsequent rounds, and regressed to the mean, resulting in his rather easy defeat.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Actually the odds aren't that bad. when attacking 3v2 (2v2 dice) The attacker will win 36% of the time, the defender 64%.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Actually the odds aren't that bad. when attacking 3v2 (2v2 dice) The attacker will win 36% of the time, the defender 64%.

Correct. SEE CHART titled "Probabilities of attacker winning a whole battle".

Looking at the chart labeled "Outcome probabilities of dice rolls (various numbers of dice)", most probably the attacker had to roll a 2v1 to defeat the tert, resulting on 1 troop on each tert.

To JC's point, it would seem the 3v2 attack (2 dice vs 2 dice) should be reserved for extreme conditions under most circumstances.

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
12 Domains is a very interesting map, come and play me and I'll talk you through the strategy I use.

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Agreed. I think that the biggest improvement to my play was understanding the art of restraint. Odds rather than emotion. Particularly when you ice and don't get a card. The temptation is to go hunting for one - scanning the map for other possibilities - I used to do that, one by one turning my '3's into '1's by trying silly attacks. Then afterwards you look at the map and think that actually just not getting card might not have been so bad after all!

12D is an interesting one, as it's obviously very beneficial at the start to occupy as much of your domains as possible. Personally I still very rarely attack 3v2 though, and when I do I often regret it (64% of the time!)!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
What about starting in 12 domains?

JC, Brian are correct. Should be reserved for extreme conditions, ie. when you HAVE to take a tert to win or keep from losing a game. Early on in 12D (against neuts) is the WORST time to attack 2v2 dice, you're basically going to guarantee a defeat.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
It is one of the first things to learn, and it is one of the hardest to remember while n game. :) I reserve do in a 3vs or 3v3 when I have that tert surrounded and I need one more to lower a troop deployment, and the game is close, and multiple avenues of reinforcement and reinforcement is only one along the path. that is my one case.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Well then....time to check out fixed force! I'll even provide training to silver members in beta! Just check out "The Loaded Dice fixed force" clan page for more info. :lollypop:

https://www.majorcommand.com/clans/16/