• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

The Death of Flash and the Future of MC? And why renew? Puffin Browser an option?

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
My MC subscription renewal just came up. I'm holding off on renewing. Why start new games that will may die in mid-game on December 31st when Browsers will remove and no longer support the Flash extension option?

Does anyone know of a plan B for MC or will it die New Years Eve?

Has the NewSheriffInTown already left town? I've messaged him but as of yet have not received an answer.

The Puffin Browser 'claims' it will still support Flash in 2021. The ads in the free version are a real pain and no way will I pay MC and Puffin to play - but - if Puffin does support Flash then I may at lest be able to play out any open games.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

< Microsoft Edge will continue to require approval for Flash on a site-by-site basis. By the end of 2020, we will remove the ability to run Adobe Flash in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer across all supported versions of Microsoft Windows. Users will no longer have any ability to enable or run Flash. >

< Flash Player blocked as "out of date" (Target: All Chrome versions - Jan 2021)
Summary: Flash Player will be marked as out of date and will be blocked from loading.
Rationale: Align with Adobe's announced plan to end support. >

< With Puffin Cloud Isolation - Flash Is Forever! People say that Flash games are not safe. Browsers cannot run Flash games beyond 2020. They were right till we make the impossible possible.

With Puffin, people around the world can play Flash games safely on their browsers. No need to install any software, any browser extensions. No additional settings are required. Just visit the Puffin Flash Store on your browser, and it simply works. >

Attachments

• Puffin and Flash.jpg
    Puffin and Flash.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 22

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Hi.

BETA games will continue to work after Dec 31 because they do not use Flash.

We are trying our best to integrate the BETA engine with the current website's scoreboard and points system.

Most likely all Flash games will stop working on Dec 31. However, I have hope that it might be possible to migrate those games from our old flash engine, to our new non-flash engine. I will have to talk to Marcos about how that can be done. If it is possible, there will most likely be a period of waiting before that happens.

So to summarize... This is what I *think* will happen.

1. We will integrate the BETA games with scoreboard and points system. (currently working on that)
  2. Players will no longer be able to create new games using the old engine
  3. Players will only be able to create new games using the BETA tab
  4. Those new BETA games will count for real points
  5. On Jan 1st, all active old engine games (including tournaments) will stop working
  6. We will try to figure out a way to import the old games to the new engine
  7. Sometime in to 2021, you will see your old flash games reappear under the BETA tab, and you can continue where you left off.
I have not confirmed #6 and #7 with Marcos yet, but I'm fairly hopeful that should be the case...

There might also be a period of time when everyone, regardless of membership status, will have access to all games, but when we get the membership thing working again with the new engine, then whoever had time on their membership after Jan 1 2021, will automatically be given a credit/extension when the membership becomes relevant again.

Upvote 0

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Why renew ? Because those of us who have seen the growth, changes, and maturation of MajCom are NOT " cut and run " types ! Even after a many months struggle with cancer I renewed this month since I was determined to get back in the saddle with the Old Soldiers Clan.

Regardless of the coding issues I'm sure that the powers that be in this outfit will improvise, adapt, and overcome. Failure is NOT an option !

Upvote 0

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Thanks Sheriff, much appreciated. Your reply would be a good one to share out as an announcement to all, more certainty in a time of uncertainty.

Upvote 0

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Hi legionbuck. I am not a 'cut and run'. And I do appreciate the battle you are going thru with cancer. I'm a 13 year stage IV throat cancer veteran. I truly wish you well in your battle with cancer and its after effects. May you live long and prosper.

Upvote 0

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Hi.

BETA games will continue to work after Dec 31 because they do not use Flash.

We are trying our best to integrate the BETA engine with the current website's scoreboard and points system.

Most likely all Flash games will stop working on Dec 31. However, I have hope that it might be possible to migrate those games from our old flash engine, to our new non-flash engine. I will have to talk to Marcos about how that can be done. If it is possible, there will most likely be a period of waiting before that happens.

So to summarize... This is what I *think* will happen.

1. We will integrate the BETA games with scoreboard and points system. (currently working on that)
  2. Players will no longer be able to create new games using the old engine
  3. Players will only be able to create new games using the BETA tab
  4. Those new BETA games will count for real points
  5. On Jan 1st, all active old engine games (including tournaments) will stop working
  6. We will try to figure out a way to import the old games to the new engine
  7. Sometime in to 2021, you will see your old flash games reappear under the BETA tab, and you can continue where you left off.
I have not confirmed #6 and #7 with Marcos yet, but I'm fairly hopeful that should be the case...

There might also be a period of time when everyone, regardless of membership status, will have access to all games, but when we get the membership thing working again with the new engine, then whoever had time on their membership after Jan 1 2021, will automatically be given a credit/extension when the membership becomes relevant again.

I very much appreciate all that you are doing Sheriff. Happy to know that we have Marcos too. There is a lot of tension in the world right now. I believe the Sheriff and marcos will do all they can in the limited time they have. Like Sheriff said things in the long run will all get worked out. It might not happen exactly how each of us wants, but we need to trust the MC team. If our games or tournaments are paused to renew again, so be it. I will be here, and so will legionbuck, and many many others as well. You can't get me to leave.

Upvote 0

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Hi legionbuck. I am not a 'cut and run'. And I do appreciate the battle you are going thru with cancer. I'm a 13 year stage IV throat cancer veteran. I truly wish you well in your battle with cancer and its after effects. May you live long and prosper.

Never said you were a cut and run, Sgt...but others have taken that route. Another cancer combat vet...OORAH ! May the road rise up to meet you, and may your fields have gentle rain fall on them.

Upvote 0

MrMarcos

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Code Fixer
Hi Guys

Just wanted to let you know that we're working hard to get the new engine up to speed before the end of the year. The game mechanics have been proven and we're working in integrating it with the rest of the site (scores, users and whatnot), which is no simple feat since they are technologically very different and some assumptions in the previous code are challenging to accommodate in the new code. As the Sheriff said, we're working currently in integrating the scoring system. We should have an updated version in the BETA tab soon enough.

Thanks for your confidence,
Marcos

Upvote 0

clarkenfeld

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
When I read posts like this i am persuaded once again that the interweb is basically magic. How can Mr Marcos write bits of text wherever he is in the world, and that means I can roll dice and destroy all in my path in my part of the world? It must be witchcraft.

Upvote 0

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.'

- Arthur C. Clarke[nfeld]

Upvote 0

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Hi Guys

Just wanted to let you know that we're working hard to get the new engine up to speed before the end of the year. The game mechanics have been proven and we're working in integrating it with the rest of the site (scores, users and whatnot), which is no simple feat since they are technologically very different and some assumptions in the previous code are challenging to accommodate in the new code. As the Sheriff said, we're working currently in integrating the scoring system. We should have an updated version in the BETA tab soon enough.

Thanks for your confidence,
Marcos

woo hoo!! we know you are doing your best...coding takes a LOT of time. one more thing you can add (to your mountain of work)….make sure you put fixed force back to attacking with at least 3 troops instead of 2. Thanks a bunch! :lollypop:

Upvote 0

Leor888

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Thanks for the update, I as many were wondering whether 2021 not only would be the end of Covid but also MC.
I have to renew in April 2021 so I hope I still can renew it at that time

Please keep us informed

Upvote 0

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Death of Flash ??? What, did Ming the Merciless finally get Ol' Flash Gordon ???

Upvote 0

ericjkline

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Thanks for the update and for all the hard work to make a fun place to beat each other up!

Upvote 0

ericjkline

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Another reason to sign up: checkout the beta tab. I just looked at creating a game and you can play a lot more combinations of team games. 3x fivers! 11x doubles! Pretty much any logical combination up to 24 players and teams of 1,2,3,4,5,6,12. Lots of 4x fivers and 5x whatever coming up in 2021!

Upvote 0

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
I download several browser, and allway find a solution to use flash ;)

Upvote 0

Gvogel

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I believe in Wizards as well and have been totally impressed with their magic here. I'm new but here to stay.

Upvote 0

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Flash is dead...long live HTML5

No more flash browser problems, new people will be able to play with no problems and no lag. I see a bright future for MC on the new HTML version.

When it's up a running I will back and creating tournament tastic.

Upvote 0

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
When I read posts like this i am persuaded once again that the interweb is basically magic. How can Mr Marcos write bits of text wherever he is in the world, and that means I can roll dice and destroy all in my path in my part of the world? It must be witchcraft.

It's not witchcraft...there are many thousands of little men that get paid 10 cents a month to roll the dice every time you click attack and they do all the background stuff, just really fast, and then they change the graphics to represent what just happened. Don't click blitz too often, it really upsets them. Notice the occasional lag...this is when one of them goes down with exhaustion and he is being swapped out.

I've heard that HTML5 are the new and improved men that are highly trained and really fit. That's why HTML is faster.

I can't believe you thought it was text that was translated into machine code and then into binary to turn a voltage on an off...as if that could ever happen! Next you will tell me we will have a man on the moon.

Upvote 0