• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Suggestions;Two Leg games with each player getting to going first

welshmaz

Awesome Player
Just a site suggestion - I play Europe Massive exclusively and often find that whoever goes first does have an advantage - although that is not to say games cannot be won going second I might add!

Would it be possible for the site to have an option for 1v1 games where one player goes first on one game and second on another?

I was also wondering whether there could be some option, perhaps, for the first player to have a handicap or perhaps less points or 1 less territory to start or something? Just a suggestion although I know difficult to perhaps write into the games.

Anyway I am sure this topic may have come up before but it seems something that many of us players talk about in the chat and I thought it as worth a post here!

Yes I love the site and especially the Europe Massive Map so no criticism meant of the mechanics just a suggestion for possible improvement :)

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Hi same problem is with all maps; overall the big ones, sspeaking about 1 v 1; actually I don't remember if there was some solution for the new game engine :S, when you play with friends, you may agree on the first player just deploy and not attack nor reinforce, that seens to work very well

welshmaz

Awesome Player
Thanks ndrm31 that is a good suggestion. :) I think you are right that this is a big map issue and a recent game a player mentioned that. :)

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Hi same problem is with all maps; overall the big ones, sspeaking about 1 v 1; actually I don't remember if there was some solution for the new game engine :S, when you play with friends, you may agree on the first player just deploy and not attack nor reinforce, that seens to work very well

I just played a 1v1 fixed force game on the North America map, where the starting deploy was 8 armies. As luck would have it, I went first. I figured that because it was fixed force, starting first would normally give me quite an advantage. But since my opponent, who had joined my game by finding it on the list of available games, was a friend, I chose to try what ndrm31 mentioned here.

The result was that the game started more evenly. I would be interested in playing more games like it, either in fixed force or chance.

One other thing I did was use the one/path setting so that it limited the advantage to the starting player. But in this case, it worked to limit the advantage of the second player, which seemed to work well.

Maybe the Duellers' Society has dealt with this suggestion in some way. If so, I'd be interested in knowing if they arranged 1v1 games like this.

Maybe WelshMaz wants me to come to Europe Massive for a game with those terms?:fight:

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
namelochli used to experiment this, in the past

chacha75

Awesome Player
Los Bambinos
Yes, ndrm and Kenjoh suggestions should work fine. Welshmash, happy to try it with you next time we play (after all, did I not trigger your questons here? :) )

welshmaz

Awesome Player
LOL yes I had a few games with two players and they mentioned after a turn they thought the larger maps held such an advantage. :)

namelochil

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
namelochli used to experiment this, in the past

Yes, I've played many, many games with a "first player delay"--where the first player deploys troops but doesn't attack in the first round. (The way I've played it, the first player is usually allowed to reinforce, unlike what ndrm said in his original post.)

Attacking first is a big advantage. The "delay" does seem to even things out a bit. It's not perfect, but I haven't seen a better way.

As far as I know, a player called Dalinar came up with the idea. He hasn't been around for a while.

kenjoh

Awesome Player
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
As far as I know, a player called Dalinar came up with the idea. He hasn't been around for a while.

Good to know. I dub this the "Dalinar Opening"! {I'll make you famous!}

I have played four games this week on large maps with what I will now call the Dalinar Opening. No attacks, no reinforcements, and a setting of 1/path. The setting reduces the advantage to the second player of being the first to attack.

This combination seems to me to provide a more equal opening for serious duellists.:fight:

Last edited:

namelochil

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Nice! I think Dalinar would appreciate that. He's an excellent player. I hope he comes back someday.

welshmaz

Awesome Player
Thanks so much for the information. The reinforce is a help I think too.