• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Sealanes

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
I would have thought this would have been suggested before but I can’t find it if it has. A sort of fusion of Axis and Allies and Risk. Why did the British Empire grow so big and endure so long? Because Britain ruled the waves.

See the map I’ve mocked up: an evolution of Classic Massive. I’ve used a familiar map because there’s enough new stuff with new a type of territory and new type of unit. Something familiar gives you a basis to work from.

mcmap3_zps17a76047.jpg

The names of the sea territories would be invisible unless the territory is highlighted, as with land territories.

All usual sea connections are obsolete.

Sea Territories confer NO reinforcement bonus on the occupier. Possibly land territories reinforcement bonus should be increased, one for two instead of one for three, so occupying 18 land territories would get you 9 reinforcements rather than 6.

NO Reserves awarded for sea battles. You may fight and win a sea battle but you won’t "get a card" unless you also fight and win a land battle.

Sea territories may be unoccupied and neutral - 0 pop -

New type of unit, “Navy” Each Navy costs 2 reinforcement points. Navy units may only occupy or be deployed on Sea Territories.

Navy units may only attack or be attacked by other Navy units. Navy units may attack down to the last ship, so three Navy units would have three dice, two, two and one, one. If a single navy unit attacks and is lost (or two attack and are both lost) then the Sea Territory it/they previously occupied reverts to neutral - 0 pop -

If a player loses all land territories then he is out of the game and his Navy units disappear along with any Armies that might be on board them.

Navy units may each carry up to 2 army units. Army units may only board Navy units during redeployment phase from an adjacent land territory. Army units may attack adjacent land territories from on board Navies during the assault phase. Carried armies confer no attacking bonus in sea battles and are lost if the Navy carrying them is sunk.

Here there are 6 Naval units in Eastern Seaboard 6 Naval units carrying 7 Army units in North Atlantic Ocean.

mcmapNAO_zps2192c470.jpg

If Eastern Seaboard attacks North Atlantic Ocean and gets lucky with two fire then N.A.O would go down to 4/7. If he gets lucky with another two hits again N.A.O would go down to 2/4, losing not only the 2 navy units but also 3 army units because of the maximum on board rule.

Game starts as per normal with no one having any Navies and all sea territories empty.

When a player starts his turn he may select a sea territory adjacent to one of his occupied land territories. If he does so the normal window pops up with the slider but the ratio is two to one. If you had 9 reinforcements to place and you selected a Sea Territory then you'd be able to place up to 4 Navy units there with one reinforcement left over that you'd have to use for an Army unit somewhere.

Navies can be placed on Sea Territories EVEN IF that Sea Territory is occupied by another player’s Navy units. In such a case then the assault phase begins with that/those battles and progresses all the way until one side or both are eliminated.

During assault phase a Navy unit may attack an enemy Navy unit in an adjacent Sea Territory. If the battle is successful the winning Navy DOES NOT occupy the defeated territory - the defeated territory reverts to 0 pop neutral.

Navy units may ONLY move during redeployment phase and only into unoccupied Sea Territories or Sea Territories already occupied by you. Normal path rules apply, unoccupied Sea Territories counting as ‘friendly’

Boarding or unloading count as one redeployment each. In path/unlimited games a single Navy unit could theoretically ferry a large army across the world, though it would be laborious to do it, loading and unloading two at a time then going back for two more.

That’s all I got so far - it’d be a hard game, lots of new factors to consider, but fascinating I think. I’d like to test play it anyway. Stalemate might be a problem as sea-borne invasions would be so difficult. But then sea-borne invasions should be difficult, because they are.

Anyway, that’s my idea, any comments?

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I like it! Looks like you've really thought this through, and made all the necessary new 'rules'. I don't know that I like the change in deploys you suggested, 1 for 2 instead of 3, but other than that, this looks really interesting.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
I'm not sure either, it'd have to be test-played, but I thought since you'd have to 'buy' Naval units as well as land units, and at twice the cost...

rule addition - Armies invading a land territory from on-board Naval units can fight to the last man, as Naval units do, so 3 attackers would throw 3 dice.

jburl

Awesome Player
This looks really interesting. I hope it works out.

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
Love the basic idea, but I find the extra rules too complicated. Maybe an easier way would be to make sea territories into auto-decay regions. Losing one troop each turn until they return to neutral, same function as on Africa map.