• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Roadmap - New Server

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
NewSheriffInTown I see that you posted in another thread on May 17th but no update here. Something anything to let us know that things are still moving forward?

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
So seeing that there was no response to my last post I am assuming that whatever efforts were happening on containerizing the site and getting it on a new server failed? I was so hopeful that we would get back to rank and tournaments and really having fun on this site. Not that I am not still having fun. NewSheriffinTown if there is anything that some of us can do please let us know. I work in IT and while I have not worked much with the technologies that you are using for this site, I can learn it to assist if needed.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
So seeing that there was no response to my last post I am assuming that whatever efforts were happening on containerizing the site and getting it on a new server failed? I was so hopeful that we would get back to rank and tournaments and really having fun on this site. Not that I am not still having fun. NewSheriffinTown if there is anything that some of us can do please let us know. I work in IT and while I have not worked much with the technologies that you are using for this site, I can learn it to assist if needed.
I agree engineerairborne.

Here's my two cents worth ...

Ukraine, like England in WWII, would already be defeated if it weren't for Allies. Allies provide critical life support, things like manpower and capital (in the form of expertise, cash, loans and equipment). This is true of any Business Venture.

Speaking as an ex-bank manager and retired financial advisor, in my humble opinion, MC needs more manpower and capital in order to move forward.

If more funding is needed, a high priority should be to re-instate the fees.

Consider a 30 or 60 or 90 day free trial to access all maps and up to 4 games, and then an ongoing restricted game play free option as before to access all but the largest maps, with a fee as before to access more games and all the maps?

Another high priority, in my humble opinion, should be to re-instate the points won or lost with each battle.

Also as near as I can tell there is still an inflow of new players coming to give MC a try.

Sadly, it also seems that most of those new players drop out. A suggestion would be to do an exit interview with those players to see why they joined and why they are leaving. Patterns will emerge to help attract - and retain - more new players.

Another suggestion would be to give new members and low ranking members an access to a group of experienced players willing to coach new and low ranking members. These coaching games should be done separate from the 4 game free play limit and with no gain or loss of points for either player.

(I would be willing to step up as a coach and my guess is there are others also willing to coach new players).

Something to consider, in the lack of funds, is to create an inner circle of advisors, volunteers, a small group of active experienced players who have an interest in seeing MC fully up and running who have skills they can bring to the table.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I think that these are all great Idea's, and some of these can be done with out the new site being stood up, but I believe that things like the points and stuff need the completed implementation of the new site in order to happen. And again with the blackout on the status there is nothing that we can do to assist in making this happen.

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Great ideas, both.

Content marketing would be a no-brainer to find new members. There must be dozens if not hundreds of people searching for the term "Play Risk Online" every day, and not many options.

However, retention is another thing. There needs to be a good product in place to help retain those members. Until that's in place, there's no use doing marketing.

An additional two cents...

-MTH

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Anyone know what has happen with Sheriff?

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I don't think anybody wants to be critical - but it isn't very good to raise money from people to help with a project and then ghost them. A lot of people donated money in good faith to help with the site re-development. I would have thought the least we were owed would be some sort of feedback. You've got to assume that something's gone wrong - but we're all completely in the dark about what that is and how (if at all) it can best be sorted.
It's a shame as it really looked like good progress was being made.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I could accept that things did not work out, or something, just want to know what is up.

Stormcat

Awesome Player
I agree engineerairborne.

Here's my two cents worth ...

Ukraine, like England in WWII, would already be defeated if it weren't for Allies. Allies provide critical life support, things like manpower and capital (in the form of expertise, cash, loans and equipment). This is true of any Business Venture.

Speaking as an ex-bank manager and retired financial advisor, in my humble opinion, MC needs more manpower and capital in order to move forward.

If more funding is needed, a high priority should be to re-instate the fees.

Consider a 30 or 60 or 90 day free trial to access all maps and up to 4 games, and then an ongoing restricted game play free option as before to access all but the largest maps, with a fee as before to access more games and all the maps?

Another high priority, in my humble opinion, should be to re-instate the points won or lost with each battle.

Also as near as I can tell there is still an inflow of new players coming to give MC a try.

Sadly, it also seems that most of those new players drop out. A suggestion would be to do an exit interview with those players to see why they joined and why they are leaving. Patterns will emerge to help attract - and retain - more new players.

Another suggestion would be to give new members and low ranking members an access to a group of experienced players willing to coach new and low ranking members. These coaching games should be done separate from the 4 game free play limit and with no gain or loss of points for either player.

(I would be willing to step up as a coach and my guess is there are others also willing to coach new players).

Something to consider, in the lack of funds, is to create an inner circle of advisors, volunteers, a small group of active experienced players who have an interest in seeing MC fully up and running who have skills they can bring to the table.
my one cents worth (still a cadet, lol), from the perspective of a new player that came along during the current status of the site, and stayed, might speak to a couple of these points. i have been choosing to pay membership since i came, bc i do appreciate the site and want to support it. it's a pretty fantastic site as is, but then i didn't know it before. the games, the maps, the community all make it a nice play to hang around and play. points and rankings would be awesome and i think if even that could be implemented soon, many players would be willing to pay for memberships again. i would love to experience the site as it used to be (maybe even improved) bc i've heard from so many players that it no longer compares to those days. i've just started playing tournaments and am happy some members have taken the initiative to bring them back.

the one and only site i played on previously had almost entirely real time games. with plenty of players. they offered caps games and there was an entire little community that specialized in those. they also had the fog of war setting, very popular. that site had many problems that this one does not. rampant cheating and lack of admins was one. but you could see who joined a game to watch as well as play, and watching games and even commenting was a fun aspect.

i am actually surprised that i kept coming here and adjusted to the 24 hour turns format, but i've grown to love it although i still enjoy playing real time games. however they are few and far between here. there were several regulars here that initially welcomed me and played me 1v1 in RT games, and ended up becoming coaches to me getting started here, which was just super awesome, and i try to pay that forward any time i see new players. but i think they find the site, join a bunch of real time games listed as waiting for players, and eventually realize that most of them are also filled with new players that didn't hang around and will never show up to play the games.

i also see that new players join team games and usually awol (bc they really never started playing after the initial look around and clicking join games) and that really makes for a frustrating game for the others that get them for teammates.

if i could suggest anything to retain new players, i do like the idea of some mentorship, maybe just one on one to answer questions, introduce the maps, and maybe play first team games with new players. also restoring the point system as everyone likes to compete not only with others but with themselves in building skills and wins. but i also think finding a way to not have a long list of basically dead in the water real time games that people will join and die waiting to play (lol), and try to actually encourage a more robust selection of actual real time games for people that are looking for that kind of risk fix.

i'd also suggest that new players have to play a certain minimum of games to show they are actually going to play, before being allowed to join team games.

and regular updates on the plans and progress towards them, please! thank you

Daniel7

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Hi everyone I have an update to share with you that Sheriff gave me to share here.

Hello,

Update as of now from Viveck,

"All dockerised setup has been completed. Even the game page has loaded. All errors have now been resolved related to the cookies.

Now we are analysing the Scala part In the local system, To work and make the server up and running. They are resolving Internal server error.

We are at the last leg of this and we should be done anytime sooner."

So it looks like something is happening. Though until this part is finally set up on their system, we're not going to see any type of improvement.

Thanks,
Sheriff.

Daniel7

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
I had three glitches/ computer restarts before I cld get the above posted, might be a sign of server updates happening!

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Thank for the update it is great to hear that things are still being worked on and we just have to be a bit more patient.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
After a 5-month delay (I apologize), we are finally ready to test our new server.

(test #2 - August 7)

Please read the following:
  • This is a test site - Nothing you do here matters - it will be wiped clean in a few days!
  • We duplicated the database yesterday, so your games look like they did very recently, but they are only duplicates of your games, not real ones!
  • These games will be deleted next week. It will NOT have an effect on the same games you play on majorcommand.com
  • Please play games, start games, finish games, do anything you want. You can even create a new account (or two or three), just go nuts and test everything - try and break it if you can.
  • The BETA/GAMES TAB is the only thing we are testing. The other tabs will link back to this site (majorcommand.com), so try not to click the other tabs or you might get lost when you wind up back here again.
That's all. Please report any issues you find with the new site below.

Here is the link to the new server - https://playriskgame.com/

Thanks, and happy testing!

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Clicked in - but not my turn in any games! I'll keep checking...

-MTH

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
seems functional. the map seems smaller on my PC but not a problem that CTRL+ can't remedy

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
Started 5 games, small and large maps...dif settings. Everything good so far... ;)

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Clicked in - but not my turn in any games! I'll keep checking...

-MTH

Feel free to start/join any new games. Or join them all. We just need to make sure it works. Then all the games will be deleted. Thanks!