• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Official Roadmap - New Server

Official

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
or we can all just go awol....that works too. i have a few items on my laundry list that would be beneficial and worth considering before implementing the no points thing.

here are is my list....many of these items are implemented at other sites and works very well.

Casual Games:

1. Instead of having 1 hour to complete the turn....have the remaining time left to complete the turn in a casual game. So If you have 9 hours left, you still have 9 hours left to complete the turn once you click the begin turn button ...not 1 hour. Real life sometimes just gets in the way...like that unexpected phone call you have to take, or your kid demanding your attention...etc. This way it all helps us with the better play-work-life balance :)
(Edit: also, if the site is still buggy, it will give people more time to report the bug and me to help you get it unstuck as well. Real time games operate this way...giving you the full time of 3 minutes....why not have the same for casual too?)

2. Add a time extension button....but remove the deferred troops....this works very well on another site that I am on. We have up to 2-time extensions per game. If you are on a team, your teammate can also add a time extension as well.

3. Game is automatically deleted if it doesn't start within 60 days (except those games that are automatically created by the system)

Real-Time Games:

1. After every kill, add a full time extension. For example, if you are playing a 6-player game with 3-minute turns, it is sometimes hard to run the map within 3 minutes (depending on the size of the map and the number of players). So after each kill, the time is automatically extended for another 3 minutes. This is why you can actually have an 6-player rt game with a reasonable chance of running the map without running out of time.

2. Game is automatically deleted if it doesn't start within 3 hours (except those games that are automatically created by the system)

Other Items

1. For 1v1 12D map...each player has 4 towers to start not 6...too much of a first-person advantage....I think classic evolved was a start deploy of 6 as well.

2. For fixed force...need a minimum of 2 to attack instead of 1.

and yes of course the no-points option....but since we can go awol for the same effect, let's focus on other things first? also, let's improve the graphics too...it seems to me the troops containers are a bit blurry...or maybe I need bifocals. my 2 cents :)

Last edited:

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Sincerely asking, and I may be dense, but how does going AWOL equate to having no-points matches?

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
If everyone goes awol then no one wins and no points are awarded. So let's say you are in a training game. When the game is close to declaring a winner (or when the point of the lesson was completed) everyone goes awol and stop taking turns. This is how I was first trained/played my first team game way back when with th-child. :) miss teaming with him.....he was a great advocate for the game.

IronDuke

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Spaceballs
T.O's.
Kickstarter
or we can all just go awol....that works too. i have a few items on my laundry list that would be beneficial and worth considering before implementing the no points thing.

here are is my list....many of these items are implemented at other sites and works very well.

Casual Games:

1. Instead of having 1 hour to complete the turn....have the remaining time left to complete the turn in a casual game. So If you have 9 hours left, you still have 9 hours left to complete the turn once you click the begin turn button ...not 1 hour. Real life sometimes just gets in the way...like that unexpected phone call you have to take, or your kid demanding your attention...etc. This way it all helps us with the better play-work-life balance :)
(Edit: also, if the site is still buggy, it will give people more time to report the bug and me to help you get it unstuck as well. Real time games operate this way...giving you the full time of 3 minutes....why not have the same for casual too?)

2. Add a time extension button....but remove the deferred troops....this works very well on another site that I am on. We have up to 2-time extensions per game. If you are on a team, your teammate can also add a time extension as well.

3. Game is automatically deleted if it doesn't start within 60 days (except those games that are automatically created by the system)

Real-Time Games:

1. After every kill, add a full time extension. For example, if you are playing a 6-player game with 3-minute turns, it is sometimes hard to run the map within 3 minutes (depending on the size of the map and the number of players). So after each kill, the time is automatically extended for another 3 minutes. This is why you can actually have an 6-player rt game with a reasonable chance of running the map without running out of time.

2. Game is automatically deleted if it doesn't start within 3 hours (except those games that are automatically created by the system)

Other Items

1. For 1v1 12D map...each player has 4 towers to start not 6...too much of a first-person advantage....I think classic evolved was a start deploy of 6 as well.

and yes of course the no-points option....but since we can go awol for the same effect, let's focus on other things first? also, let's improve the graphics too...it seems to me the troops containers are a bit blurry...or maybe I need bifocals. my 2 cents :)
Agree with all suggestions Under Casual, Real Time and Other. All enhance game play and CX.
I’m not a big fan of the AWOL no-points strategy as I expect some will request that after the fact when the game is not going well. A “no-points” option in game set up is great tho, especially for training purposes

In 1v1 games where there is a clear first mover advantage consider have a “placement round” to precede the “attack rounds” . This will give the 2nd player a chance to brace/defend against the initial attack and signal a counter.

I think we should also a consider a “lay down your sword” option where you can resign a game when the outcome is clear but it’s otherwise dragging on.

BadKarma

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Kickstarter
I second IronDuke’s comments, especially the “lay down you sword” idea. i would add, on the other platform Peri references, there is also a setting where if a player is awol for a certain number of turns, their terts become neutral and the player is ejected.

IronDuke

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Spaceballs
T.O's.
Kickstarter
One other thing - when a player goes awol their troops should be converted to neutral. I’ve seen many games decided where
1) players are unaware the another player has gone AWOL and are at a disadvantage to those who do know, and adjust their game accordingly and
2) players who return from AWOL who can “Pearl Harbor” a player who has left a flank open.

You could make an argument that for #1 above its a situational awareness failure on the part of a player, but for #2) the returning player has a massive and unfair advantage.

Converting a player who goes AWOL to neutral fixes this problem.

Downsides:
In Merc games a player could go awol to deprive a player of points. Probably a corner case not worth creating a fix for
In Assassin games it would end a game. that’s a bit more difficult.

We should should consider that a player who goes AWOL, is automatically removed from any pending games- I’ve seen several games where there are awol players in the opening round

IronDuke

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Spaceballs
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I second IronDuke’s comments, especially the “lay down you sword” idea. i would add, on the other platform Peri references, there is also a setting where if a player is awol for a certain number of turns, their terts become neutral and the player is ejected.
BadKarma is right about me being right

Edman6

Awesome Player
The Canadian Club
I wholeheartedly agree with everything peri said; I think we have like experiences playing on other sites and see what has been done well.
ONE THING I WOULD ADD is to ensure that the new site is playable from a mobile device. I try to cut down on my games when I go on holidays, but as a casual player it's a long-term strategy and invariably you have to take the odd turn on a mobile device.

ANOTHER THING I would add is the option to have "no cards" games.

I have posted below what peri said that I agree with, which is everything

Casual Games:

Real-Time Games:

Other Items

and yes of course the no-points option....but since we can go awol for the same effect, let's focus on other things first? also, let's improve the graphics too...it seems to me the troops containers are a bit blurry...or maybe I need bifocals.

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I agree that it would be good on Game Setup to have the option of 'No Points' - if that is possible without delaying completion of the site reconstruction.

I also agree that it would be good for AWOL players to be removed from the game after being AWOL for X turns. Occasionally players used going AWOL as a tactic, letting everyone else kick lumps out of each other then re-appearing when the numbers looked better for them - it can be quite annoying!

On 1v1 games I thought the experiment of half re-inf for the first mover was very good and evened things up a lot - I think it would be good to have that as an option on 1v1 game set-ups (again, if possible without too much tachnical hassle).

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
If everyone goes awol then no one wins and no points are awarded. So let's say you are in a training game. When the game is close to declaring a winner (or when the point of the lesson was completed) everyone goes awol and stop taking turns. This is how I was first trained/played my first team game way back when with th-child. :) miss teaming with him.....he was a great advocate for the game.
Going AWOL is, to me, a 'next best' work around option to a 'no points' option. It does get the desired results of 'no points' if there is no other way.

Me, I like closure. Win or Lose or Draw, I like to see closure.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also see where there are other high and higher priority items on the wish list.

Suggestion: 'When' Beta is close to becoming history behind us then consider a poll to vote player wish list priorities.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My #1 vote would be for Marco's suggestion that when a player goes AWOL for 4 rounds, (officially AWOL and greyed) then they are bumped from the game and their terts revert to neutral and they are removed from any waiting 'Join' Games. I really like Marco's suggestions.

There will be a few times when a player will be absent with regrets and want to return.

There will be times when a player started a game and dropped out of MC entirely, sadly.

There will be times when a player decides to drop out of just that game, (a 'lay down sword option would speed up the game by not delaying 4 x 24 hours).

There will be times when a player goes on the sidelines and observes for a more opportune time to re-enter the battle.

To me going AWOL is going gonzo, and for whatever reason, their absence should not penalize the remaining players.

. . . thinking out loud . . .

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
It seems this thread got a it off topic. But that's okay.... Anyway, here's another update:
  • Marcos finished the API that the Indian agency was waiting for
  • The Indian agency is now working to finish the BETA pages front-end
  • Tarang is still plowing through his backend stuff, with a couple more tasks ready and lined up after he finishes the current one
So basically everyone is back working again at full speed, (whatever that speed may be!). But there are no more hang-ups or bottlenecks slowing things down. So that's the most I can ask for right now! :)

genghisknows

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I rather like the set-ups prior to flash dismantled. I think that too many changes and new options being added will "turn off" some players.

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I'm guessing it must be a year or so now since the Kickstarter ended successfully. From the outside there seems little change, but I'm sure things are being done behind the curtain. An update in due course for us ordinary punters would be good.

And one thing I'm not sure we've ever had is a likely timescale - or if we have I've not noticed it/forgotten it. I tend to find that if people put their name to a set of target dates then it helps to move things along.

-LionHeart-

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
When will the scoreboard be active, the delivery of medals and others???

MrMarcos

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Code Fixer
Hi. In the last few days we've been dealing with the move of the game engine to a new server. once this task is completed, a couple of fixes will be deployed and then the 2 major prioritires are:
  • Email notifications for the various site events, like active turns.
  • The scoring system which deals with scores and medals. The lion share of this functionality has already been implemented and what's missing is the integration of the queueing system into which all the events are published and acted upon.
We can't commit to a particular time frame, but we're working as fast as we can to deliver this functionality.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
Hi. In the last few days we've been dealing with the move of the game engine to a new server. once this task is completed, a couple of fixes will be deployed and then the 2 major prioritires are:
  • The scoring system which deals with scores and medals. The lion share of this functionality has already been implemented and what's missing is the integration of the queueing system into which all the events are published and acted upon.
We can't commit to a particular time frame, but we're working as fast as we can to deliver this functionality.
thanks for the update mrmarcos. really nice to hear the point system is on the horizon, i think it will revive a lot of players that are on hiatus at the moment. and of course it will change how games are being played. also i can finally start working on getting my star back, i miss it.

in light of this, i think it is high time to report a bug that may or may not be known yet, and could impact games (and points) - it just came up in a nukes game (https://www.majorcommand.com/beta/39619): on maps that feature the bombard option, it is possible to bombard neutral singles & receive a card for it. may not sound like such a big deal, but can make a tremendous difference in fixed force games where such an attack vs a single will also never cost anything (it is a free card), or where your opponent may attempt to block you from getting a card by building stacks around you. as long as you have access to sth than can bombard & a neutral single is at the receiving end, you will get your card. this really ought be to fixed prior to points returning.

cheers

T79boy

Awesome Player
Question : is it possible to get SMS notifications of active turns or is it complicated and/or cost implications ?

genghisknows

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
MrMarcos, what's with the having to refresh constantly throughout game play? If you take 30 seconds between attacks, typing a chat, or just being inactive for 30 seconds you have to refresh the page. It would seem that this would be a big deal, something for your group to address.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Marcos tried to update the game engine today but ran into some issues, so he reverted back to the current version of the engine.

Please let us know if something new isn't working (aside from the usual bugs)

He will try another update again shortly. Thanks.

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
I'd like to see a turn timer for every game on main page...
And can you get rid of the stupid blue box that covers the timer now? Just move it somewhere else...