• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Racially-charged usernames

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I've noticed a few racially-charged usernames in the last week or so, curious what the protocol is for addressing that? I'm far from a pearl-clutcher, and I understand not all racially-charged names are necessarily intended as racist per se, but one thing I love about MC is the positive community and quite frankly if I want to see offensive language I get enough of that on other social media.

Per the wiki, rules on language are:
No racist, homophobic, sexist, or derogatory stereotypical remarks. This includes usernames like n1gger, or iluvHitler, or anything that can be seen as offensive to a class of people. You must remain respectful to other players at all times.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
i agree with you, i dont want to see (borderline) offensive names here either, and imo there is no grey area. the underlying intention of a name can hardly be deduced, and as long as it can reasonably be construed as offensive, it should be deleted. i would suggest either a pm to the sheriff, or maybe post it in the usual suspects forum? it seems dedicated to cheating, but i think all majcom staff can read & the forum is private: https://forum.majorcommand.com/forums/the-usual-suspects.88/

Upvote 0

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
thanks, once. glad to know it's not just me, and i'll post where you suggested. see you on the maps!

Upvote 0

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
Hmmm - murky waters there. Hardly anything but grey area. Give me a minute and I can come up with a list as long as your arm of names that some people might find offensive and others wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

Isn't the easiest thing if you come across someone who offends you, just not to engage with them?

Upvote 0

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I sincerely appreciate your POV, but I think the waters are decidedly less murky in this instance given the Wiki entry on Community Etiquette, of which item 2 reads:
No racist, homophobic, sexist, or derogatory stereotypical remarks. This includes usernames like n1gger, or iluvHitler, or anything that can be seen as offensive to a class of people. You must remain respectful to other players at all times.

And I completely agree with you that offensive language is often a grey area, but the specific names I've encountered can easily be construed as offensive to a class of people regardless of the individual's intention. Again, I am not easily offended, and I don't care what language people use in their private lives or on their social media or wherever else it is, so long as I don't have to look at it every time I want to play a game. I don't have the option of not engaging, I have no control over who joins a game I have already joined. Know what I mean?

Upvote 0

genghisknows

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Can you give us some examples of names that you find truly offensive, needpapertowel? Then we can measure ourselves against your notion of offensive names. I agree with the above comment of not engaging someone whose name offends you. If it is truly a breach of the Community Etiquette rules, I am sure the MC will take care of it.

Upvote 0

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I have to say I don't think I've ever come across a user-name on MajCom which offended me - maybe I'm not paying enough attention.

And I do know what you mean - you can't control who joins a game after you. But if another you find another player offensive or upsetting you can just go AWOL - we don't pay an entry fee and we aren't competing for big cash prizes.

The rules give the site-holder pretty wide discretionary powers, and I'm sure they'll use them sensibly if there's a problem - I just haven't noticed that there is one.

Upvote 0

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I DM'd the mods two individual user names, and I'm happy to abide by whatever they see fit. I don't want to call out the individual player names in the public square, but one is anti-Semitic and one drops an N bomb, which are basically lining up with the two examples given in the rulebook. And I'm not trying to make a capital case out of anything, I was simply wondering what the protocol was for addressing it (outside of engaging the player directly since I'm not looking for an argument). If the mods are fine with it, I will simply mind my own business and avoid joining games with those users.

Upvote 0

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I've been playing for about 10 years and it's the first time I've seen any remotely offensive names, which is why I thought it was worthy of mention. If nobody agrees, I'm fine with that too.

Upvote 0

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
@needspapertowel - thank you for bringing this to staff's attention. We will address your post in "The Usual Suspects" forum.

While there can be murky areas, ultimately this site should be a welcoming home to visitors.

Upvote 0

TankEater

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Kickstarter
Can you give us some examples of names that you find truly offensive, needpapertowel? Then we can measure ourselves against your notion of offensive names. I agree with the above comment of not engaging someone whose name offends you. If it is truly a breach of the Community Etiquette rules, I am sure the MC will take care of it.
TankEater, may not be offensive but I think it is down right scary :)

Upvote 0