• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Question on best defense layout

hermit

Awesome Player
Alright so let's say you have 2 territories somewhere that you're trying to defend, it's the end of your turn, you're reinforcing. You have 6 troops in total across these two territories. Is it better to split 3 on each, or 4 on one and 2 on the other? My friend's been saying 3, but I've been saying 4 and 2 is better cuz if an opponent wants to take them both, they'd have to get three perfect rolls to take them out, while if an opponent is attacking a 3 and a 3 they only need two perfect rolls before they just have to deal with the two weaker 1's left over.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I would say pure defense the 3 and 3. They can't take either tert with out attacking each one twice. You have a good chance of splitting on both the first rolls, giving you a better chance at still having 2 dice to defend with on the next roll. However if you are also looking at possibly doing a counter attack, then 4 and 2 is better with the 4 being the leading tert, so that you up they have crap dice and you will have more troops left to attack with. However with that said it is a balance between leaving troops to defend and using troops to attack. The best would be to always leave at least 2 troops on al terts, but that leaves you with a lot less troops to attack with. How ever it is not always wise to defend a command with a large stack that the single tert, if you can reasonable put enough terts between the enemy and your command, that they won't have enough troops to move that many spaces to attack your command, is much better then a stack, that the dice gods can allow killed with lower numbers.

I don't know all of the statistics and someone else can chime in if they know them, but that is how I would see it.

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
http://diceroll.stritar.net/risk.html

9 v 4,2 is 67% approx
9 v 3,3 is 68% approx

both ranged from 64% to 69%, i just did a average in my head.
so really no diff. i would worry about

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Our WIKI has a lot of good information:

https://www.majorcommand.com/wiki/Nature_of_Dice_Luck_and_Streaks#Dice_Probabilities

The answer depends on the number of troops the attacker has.

You can get these results by averaging out the attack/defense found in the chart in the link above.

• If you are defending from an attack of 2-4 troops, then a 3 and 3 setup is better
  • If you are defending from an attack of 5-6 troops, then both setups are equal
  • If you are defending from an attack of 7+ troops, then a 4 and 2 setup is better

If you add up the percentages instead of averaging them, then the results are:

• If you are defending from an attack of 2-4 troops, then a 3 and 3 setup is better
  • If you are defending from an attack of 5+ troops, then a 4 and 2 setup is better

Either way, I would go for a 4/2 defense, since it's unlikely the attacker would use 4 or less troops to attack with.

Last edited: