• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Proposed Changes to Reserve Troops to Prevent Stalemates.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Actually, since it's not your fault you can't conform to the -1 rule, you can argue that you will play normally until someone enables you to use a stack. It's then in the interest of the other players to stop you from getting stronger each round.

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I'm glad this is being addressed, this is the reason I don't join a lot of games. It's a shame that people are against a change to flat rate after a high number of rounds. I guess I will just continue to avoid flat rate games.

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
(2 sides) Team games never stalemate. Without bonus cards, team games are far more strategic. Imo escalate sets spoil teamgames.
if anything, Id want a lower flat rate.
3 units for a set of 3 cards, +2 units for each bold card.

Last edited:

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
(2 sides) Team games never stalemate. Without bonus cards, team games are far more strategic. Imo escalate sets spoil teamgames.

The new rule is only meant to address stalemates, thus going into effect in later rounds than a team game would get to.

But I've seen prior discussions about a no reserve setting. One step at a time!

Last edited:

haWD96lz

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Spaceballs
Actually, since it's not your fault you can't conform to the -1 rule, you can argue that you will play normally until someone enables you to use a stack. It's then in the interest of the other players to stop you from getting stronger each round.

I agree with this for another reason though. If you miss a card you probably lose because at this point -1 is not the issue. The sets are so large that cards dominate. Maybe a -1 game should be played until people are under current set value. Since if a set is worth as much as the troops you have its a decent shot to kill you.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers

4 Player (2v2) Flat Rate Team Games would most likely never stalemate. Even it was Fixed Force I would feel confident enough to join without worry. Though I think it would be possible in game with more than 2 teams, that at some point there might be just 1 player from 3 teams left alive, in which case a 3 player game is a recipe for staleness. ;-)

Last edited:

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
+1

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Superior to a -1 rule in an escalate game is simply an agreement on "maximum troop strength". So imagine everyone is at 1000 troops each, reserves 225. Everyone can decide to cap their troop strength at 800. The issue I have about -1 is, what if someone misses their turn? They have to resign the game? -1 vs a cap is effectively the same thing, but the cap addresses the missed turn thing (players are ALLOWED to miss a turn and missing a turn isn't viewed anywhere as equivalent to a reason to forfeit).

Regarding a max troop strength.
- there should be a few "float" rounds where the players all get their troop numbers down to the desired number. This may take more than 1 round. The quota should be enforced when all players are around that number, and not before. So imagine 3 players each with 1500, and they decide to drop to 1000. Player 1 gets to 1000, player 2 on his turn gets to 1000. Player 3 on his turn, might be holding say 1300 troops. He gets to a 1000, but in doing so, Players 1 and 2 are now well below 1000 (e.g. both are holding 850). That isn't fair for P1 and P2. So the drop to the quota has to be done in a way so that everyone begins the quota gameplay at equal strength.
- The moment one player is eliminated, the quota should vanish. The reason is, suppose P1 eliminates P4 getting their cards. If there's a quota, P1 may have to kill off those newly-acquired troops mid-turn to get under the quota. Those attacks may not be enough to eliminate another player P3, but may be enough to kill him 90%, setting up the NEXT player, P2, to get P3 for virtually nothing. I think the skill in Risk and what should be rewarded in the game, is the ability to eliminate other players. If a quota is forced in this scenario, P1 may actually be punished for killing off P2 and cashing their cards. So the alternative is, the quota is eliminated upon any player elimination, and it can be re-introduced by all surviving parties if desired. This "extra" rule wouldn't be expected to apply in a 3p game (or rather, a game with 3 remaining players), since those extra troops mid-turn would be used on the sole surviving opponent, which makes the rule moot.

Last edited: