• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Proposed Changes to 1v1 (2 player) games

Status
Not open for further replies.

haWD96lz

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Spaceballs
So I don't think there is a general solution, unless all I can think of is:

• Lowering the initial troop count so it can go below 3
  • Maybe doubling the second player's troops deploy instead
  • Or use different rules for different maps that combine some of the things we are trying (like skipping attacking on 12 Domains)
[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of the last suggestion it will be too confusing. I like the first option or what you proposed that the first person can't attack.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Perhaps it's time to set up a poll? :lollypop:

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
@Sheriff;
1st turn's units on 12 Domains;
4 auto deployed + 3 freely deployable = 7 units. Half of that rounded up = 4, which is just the auto deploys.
so according to my theory, to achieve 50/50 ish odds on 12do, 1st player's 1st turn would not be "2" freely deployable units on top of the auto deploys (like you wrote) but zero.
*doubling the 2nd player's troops deploy would numerically even the odds, but it seems more confusing than reducing 1st player's deploy so I'd be in favor of lowering the initial troop count.
I think in order to analyse the effect of individual solutions to the 1st turn advantage, we should first evaluate them separately, although once we've run trials on both, we might try a combination of the two, depending on results

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Not that it matters. I prefer how it plays now. Win some, lose some, stronger player always comes out in the long run. No big deal.

Sides, why bother with initial attacks if you aren't going to do something about making the drops more even? A good or bad drop is a bigger factor than initial attack or lack thereof.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Not that it matters. I prefer how it plays now. Win some, lose some, stronger player always comes out in the long run. No big deal.

Sides, why bother with initial attacks if you aren't going to do something about making the drops more even? A good or bad drop is a bigger factor than initial attack or lack thereof.

So I'm with Bonnet here. If a player plays any number of games here, they'll go first half of the time. So half the time they will have first turn advantage, half not.

I would think reasonably fair odds are 60/40, instead of 65/35, but the solutions proposed may drive more confusion, rather than create more interesting games.

There may be an argument if one feels like tournaments are the primary driver of change. Any given tournament will only have a few rounds, which means first turn will not have a chance to even out. But tournaments are supposed to be kind of hard anyway, right?

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Perhaps it's time to set up a poll? :lollypop:

Not this time. Just looking for suggestions, not consensus. :cool:

@Sheriff;
1st player's 1st turn would not be "2" freely deployable units on top of the auto deploys (like you wrote) but zero.

The problem is not desire, but poor coding in the old engine. There are just some things we can not do.

At first we tried to skip attack and deploy, but the results were not consistent, it didn't work since it was not design to work that way. Next we managed to cut the first player's deploy in half, but it's limited to 3 minimum, and we can't get around that since it's hardcoded. Next, possibly, I think we can try adding to the second players deploy instead, I think that should work easy enough.

So I'm with Bonnet here. If a player plays any number of games here, they'll go first half of the time. So half the time they will have first turn advantage, half not.

Well, then the game isn't really about playing the game, but rather it's about who goes first. Like cutting the deck, highest card wins. I honestly don't know what a real 1v1 game feels like, when the odds are the same for both players. I only know what a 1v1 game feels like now, and it currently it sucks to go second. Just like cutting the deck and getting a 2. No skill, just a random number. Imagine an almost perfectly balanced head-to-head game. Doesn't matter your starting position, only your skill....

And on that note, I'm closing this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions!

A bunch of 1v1 test games have been set up, and a new thread is open.

Just click here - https://www.majorcommand.com/forums...eady-for-Testing?p=99861&viewfull=1#post99861

Status
Not open for further replies.