• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

POLL - New Map - Which color scheme do you prefer?

Which color scheme do you prefer?

• 1 - Top map (more sandy parchment)

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 2 - Bottom map (more colorful mapish)

Votes: 16 94.1%

• Total voters

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers

This question is about the BACKGROUND COLOR scheme only!​

Not the color of the icons.​

This is POLL. Please VOTE above. :)

This map is just a DRAFT. So any input is welcome. However, be advised it is still far far away from being played.

Meanwhile, the question today is just about the color scheme.

Please do not take in to account any of the icons. ONLY the background map color

1 - Top map (more sandy parchment)

July 5 - Guardians Bay - PS version - 4.jpg

2 - Bottom map (more colorful mapish)

July 6 - Guardians Bay - PS version with color.jpg

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Hi Sheriff,

Nice hearing from you and great to see that there are even some extra developments,
next to the hard work you guys have with the new UI.

In my Opinion, I would rather go for the "Bottom Map".

Cheers,

smi

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
Amazing idea and super nice for a tournament with a theme!!

The second one is closer to the 12 domains aesthetic which I think you are trying to approach.

My 2 cents in general:
  • ship connections are not very visible with the red glowing dots. Perhaps a curved arrow would be better?
  • towns could use some minor character details: a couple of crops in one, some pigs in another - to signify the local produce which gives the +1
  • perhaps a kranken is fitting? reset to 1 every turn or auto decay -5 ?
  • maybe the northern passage can be "blocked" while the game progresses? Reset to 1 neutral every turn but also trigger +2. So it resets to 1,3,5 etc so it swiftly becomes impassable and forces players to take the sea?

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
nice! number 2 :)

very cool.....so....is there a difference between the dark green and the light green troop containers?

blee

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
nice! number 2 :)

very cool.....so....is there a difference between the dark green and the light green troop containers?
Guessing that will change, I see he specifically said to not pay attention to anything other than the background color at this time.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Guessing that will change, I see he specifically said to not pay attention to anything other than the background color at this time.
oh true!

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Great looking map! I'm intrigued...

My vote is for Number 2 -- lots more contrast, and Number 1 is kind of bright to look at.

I know you said to keep comments to the background colours only, but I would like to flag the pastel colours used for player colours. Many of us have a hard time on maps like The British Isles because the shades are too close together. I've lost games because of mixing up player colours on the maps, which is extra frustrating.

Bright colours and even different shapes like on Classic Massive and Australia help many of us distinguish the players on the map better. That's not to say pastels and other muted colours should be completely avoided. But colour schemes that are ONLY pastels or muted colours and do not have different shapes are difficult to distinguish for many of us.

(I guess this is my three cents then, instead of just two?)

-MTH

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
i totally agree...perhaps some standard colours/shapes plus extra colours that work with the colour scheme for the map? yes...british isles is a particularly bad one for colours!

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Nice looking map! They both have their charms, but for me I usually lean towards a more vivid colour scheme in maps, so I think I prefer no. 2. That being said, I still think it could be tweaked to be more visually pleasing. I would lighten the colour of the sea to a more brighter sky blue, and change the land to be more yellowey/orange. So sort of a blend between the two options provided 😂

genghisknows

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I prefer the top map. On another note, pertaining to the 12Domain Map, could you center (bring the number text line) down a bit on the rectangular troop box so that the troop numbers are easier to read? On the rectangular ones, the top of the numbers brush up against the top of the box and makes it a bit more difficult to read.

munchie

Awesome Player
The fact that new maps are being developed gives me hope for the future of majorcommand! It looks great!

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
The fact that new maps are being developed gives me hope for the future of majorcommand! It looks great!

Yes there is hope....

Here's another map that's in the pipeline

Saltmarshe July 26.jpg

This one is not part of the poll/question above. It's just a glimpse of what's being worked on.....

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I like it nice and clean, but seems to have a lot to keep in mind.
Also it is not a monster of a map, that I like also.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
i totally agree...perhaps some standard colours/shapes plus extra colours that work with the colour scheme for the map? yes...british isles is a particularly bad one for colours!
Not to toss more at the developers, but I agree I wish that all the maps had a standard set of player icons, and then maybe some unique ones for a particular map. Also it would be nice when the map first loads, that it assigns colors based on teams if a team game, and it does not duplicate colors. There have been times that I was not paying attention, and one player was the same color as netural, and I miss read the map.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Now if we could just get someone with some smarts to go back and look at "The Colony" and figure out how to make it work...

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Prefer the one that Periwinkle & I liked ! Other 2 have too much detail in escarpments / land features that interfere with the tactical side of things. Definitely not one for beginners. With that said, I back maps that encourage new players, the harder maps defeat getting newbies that involved in MajCom....IMHO.

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
bottom map most definitely