• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Paris, for Tourists ABANDONED

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Looking good...

But Wasn't 1e called "Le Louvre", and others have changed as well.

And maybe Isles should be called "Notre Dame", if you are going to expain the reason for the colors

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
But Wasn't 1e called "Le Louvre", and others have changed as well.
The idea down the road will be to have the landmarks drawn in, as the Eiffel Tower is. The Louvre would be indicated with a drawing of... the Louvre.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
KungFuduet posed some questions on the side, which I'll post here with my responses. KFD in italics.

There are only 33 regions, correct?
Yes. One will start neutral (4e, which gives +1 by itself).

I am thinking perhaps the train station interlinks (they are the orange ones right?) (ie they connect to each other) that might change the game around a bit.
We could also run metro lines through the map to connect shit, but I kinda like the idea of regions that make up bonuses not being connected. It's a different game.

I would add montparnasse tower around 15e as a landmark (or are you putting it in 14e?)
Well, right now 15e is a part of the train bonus, and 14e part of the cemeteries bonus. I toyed with the idea of striping some regions to be part of multiple bonuses, but that sounds really confusing.

Le Pere Lachaise (Park) can be added around Bellevile
If you mean the cemetery where Jim Morrison an others are buried, it's in Menli...

La Villette Exibition Park around 19e (or is the planned already)?
planned.

Les Buttes Chaumon (Park) around 19e can be added
Again, don't want to double dip.

Park Monceau in 17e?
That sounds good. 17e needs something, and it isn't bordering a park. It would be nice to have a second park on that side of the map.
edit: Parc Monceau is not in the 17e, but Square des Batignolles is. Let's call it a park.

Roland Garros Tennis Arena (is that Boulogne-Billancourt)?
Stadium de France?

I thought about these, but wasn't sure what to call them. Since they currently don't border, I could just have two sports centers and make them a +1 for the two.

Trocadero in 16e (is it planned)?
Trocadero would be a monument/blue, which would cluster them all together.

What about the Congress of Paris? (Palais de Congres)?
Please, I know the French are a romantic people, but the congress of Parisians will not be depicted. This is a family site.

Last edited:

Robinette

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Please, I know the French are a romantic people, but the congress of Parisians will not be depicted. This is a family site.

lol, and i don't think it's old enough...
But how about one of the oldest and most visited streets in Paris, Rue Saint-Denis...
oh wait... you said family site...

So I suppose any depiction of Rue Saint-Denis is out of the question then, eh? lol...

paris-st-denis-statue_z-z.jpg

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Robinette, I think there may be a way we can sneak some of that into a final draft, but let's cross that pont when we come to it.

Update below with more easily identifiable graphics, sports venues, and the addition of the Buttes Chaumont region. Still looks awful, but I'm so not concerned about looks at this point.

The big question I have is whether or not anyone would actually care to play a map without contiguous regions? I think it's an interested layout, but maybe something users only play once or twice and then never come back to.

cc6ffc743c666092c78b179632f1b22a.png

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I'll be honest. My initial impression is that it won't play very well. The reason I say this is because you can't secure an area and then guard choke points with a bigger stack. You would be more likely forced to guard each region with the same size stack. Especially when you start analyzing the number of directions each place can be attacked from. I think the idea you are working with would be better as an "added bonus" on a larger traditional command-bonus style map rather than the main focus.

I could be wrong, that is just my initial take on the map. I would try playing enough games to at least get a bronze medal on it, but unless the game play surprised me, that's about all I would do.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
if we went with a more traditional command-based map, but with some bonuses for putting together landmarks, it might look something like this...

78aaeeb26408e8d2b7ca51da0f079fde.png

I didn't put a ton of work into this, I just split the arrondisements in half, more or less. Some are still whole, some are in thirds.

Robinette

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
hey wait a minute,,,

don't give up on an innovative idea so quickly, just keep thinking outside the box... we can do this...

I was thinking it would change things if we amp up the bonus's

Maybe ALSO auto-deploy the same bonus on each...
if you have 3 railroad stations, you get the +2 bonus, AND +2 auto deploy on your 3 stations.

Sure would be an awesome twist to an escalating game, where bonus's don't normally factor in...

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Well, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

I don't know how the development cycle works, but if you can create a mock-up to play without investing the time in the graphics, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I don't know how the development cycle works, but if you can create a mock-up to play without investing the time in the graphics, I'd be willing to give it a go.
It would take some time to whip up a playable map, but it's entirely possible. Trouble is we don't have a rule set up right now to allow flexible command bonuses (hold two of four for a bonus, etc.). There are work-arounds, but it would be a serious pain in the rear.

The bigger picture is that I'm not sure this is the map that is most worth devoting a lot of time and energy into. It's just not going to be that good, and if I only have the time to throw myself into one project I want that project to be a good one.

Plain-ol-Ed

Awesome Player
I really like this concept a lot, not to mention that it would help me find my way around the next time I go to Paris. If you could add in a few reminders of where the major attractions are that would be appreciated also. I can just see myself standing at the tower, pointing over my shoulder, so smugly saying, "the arc, oh, that is over that way" ;-) All because MC enabled a detailed map study.

dudeiamgood

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I hate double posting, but here's a look at the bonus structure I had in mind. The individual landmarks will be illustrated on the map, and split up by category: churches, museums, monuments, parks, train stations, cemeteries/tombs. Hold any two like landmarks for +1. Any three for +2. Any four for +3. It's a build-your own bonus map, so no two games will be the same. I've sketched in what I think are the key landmarks, but I'm still open to suggestions.

My concern is that, other than the river, it's really difficult to come up with impassables. Suggestions?

63e38533e6073a493bb35c3e040986e5.png

not th@ many bridges of course