• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Master of the Maps - Clan Edition

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Exciting news everyone! Clans are about to become relevant again!!​

Just like the previous versions master of the maps' this is going to be a competition over all maps and settings.

Depending on how many clans we get (We have the four that are partially active at the moment, we might get a few more if people who aren't in clans want to band together and join in) we may end up playing singles, doubles, triples, and sixers (if we stay with just the 4 clans) or just singles, doubles and quads for 6 clans.
i.e. we can't have a 16 player game, so that rules out quads with 4 clans playing

6 Clans will be the maximum to keep 3 games per map, anything more than that won't really be clan based anymore. So if you're planing on banding up with some other people, get in quick. 5 clans won't work either (could only play singles and doubles), so we really need 2 more if extra people want to join in.

Format
Every fortnight each clan will pick one map and team size to play, create the one game, nominate a number of players from the clan and post it in the forum thread for the other clans to join. We will only play each team size for each map once, so if it has already been played (or is in the process of being played) pick another map/settings for the new game.

If one clan fails to create a game before the specified time (at the end of the fortnight) I will randomly generate a map and team size for the other teams to play without the team who didn't start a game. So don't miss starting a game it'll mean all of the other clans will get to fight over that point without you.

Each game will be weighted evenly (worth 1 point) and whichever clan manages to get the highest score through all 88 games will be proclaimed Master of the Maps Clan Champion.​

Prizes
Each player from the winning clan that plays in at least one game will get a Ribbon (That will fit in with the rest of the Master of the Map ribbons) and possible some amount of points (maybe 100 each, that's still TBD).​
Ribbon-TBA-smallest_zpsvhykpym9.png~original

Enter Before: Fri 08 May at 23:59 GMT
That means clan formed with at least 4-6 members​

First games to be created by: Sat 09 May at 23:59 GMT

Scoreboard

Scoreboard_pregame_rev2_zpsv22axjud.png~original

A few quick questions on what we think of it before we start...

• Do we want to change how often we start games? I was thinking 2 weeks should give us enough time to finish most games so we don't end up with a backlog.
  • Do we want to limit the ammount of flat rate games we are going to start? we don't want to end up with 30 flat rate games still going after all of the other ones have finished do we?
    Because of this I was going to set the percentages of how often flat rate games and no reinforcement games come up for when I randomly generate it I was thinking something like 60-30-10 escalate-escalite-flat rate and 45-45-10 three-one-none reinforcements respectively. What do we think?
  • I just made the assumption that the 4 "active" clans would take part. If one of them doesn't want to let me know before we get close to the start date

At the end of the day I don't plan on using the generator at all, but if we need it here it is...
I'll make a video when I use it and put it up here to show that I'm not just picking maps/settings that I want to play.​

Generator_zpshmqdc0ho.png~original

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
W & CB will be in.

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
great idea.

some thoughts on this. most clans have 10 or more members. with games starting every 2 weeks. that could be enough to rotate every member through in a 6 week period. so it shouldn't be too onerous for on the teams.

you could also make a rule, if there are 3 clan games going at one time, the next ones are autmatically escalate until they get back down to an acceptable number.

Any concerns about non-commander class people? it is not mandatory for clan membership. While most people in clans are, not everyone is. ( fixed force or 24player are only commander class.)

More clans start limiting game options. of course you could also have mandatory by's for a clan to sit out a game during the series to make sure everything is even. but they could also recruit more players which would help ensure the schedule stays good. there are a lot of good players around without clans nowadays.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I'm currently travelling and won't be able to participate.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
+1, great idea. I'll think over the questions later.

(Also, it's pure luck I noticed this topic... how do you guys notice new posts around the forums?)

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society

(Also, it's pure luck I noticed this topic... how do you guys notice new posts around the forums?)

Main forum page. Look at the right side. It has date of last post in the section. Look for ones labled "today" and "yesterday" :)

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
you could also make a rule, if there are 3 clan games going at one time, the next ones are autmatically escalate until they get back down to an acceptable number.

That's a good idea GTI, what do you mean by 3 clan games though? 3 that were made by a single clan? 3 games still going in total?
The first is more like what I think would be a good idea, or maybe more than 3 in total if you were to take that approach, after all there will be 4 games (maybe 3) starting every 14 days, and with some having 12 or 24 people in them, even with escalate they'll take a while. Maybe something like 10 still going in total and everything has to be escalate?

Any concerns about non-commander class people? it is not mandatory for clan membership. While most people in clans are, not everyone is. ( fixed force or 24player are only commander class.)

I'm pretty sure each clan at the moment has enough commander class members to have teams of 6 or 4 when we play 24 player games. I figured that you could just evenly split games up so the strategists or grunts that want to play games play the singles, doubles or triples games.

More clans start limiting game options. of course you could also have mandatory by's for a clan to sit out a game during the series to make sure everything is even. but they could also recruit more players which would help ensure the schedule stays good. there are a lot of good players around without clans nowadays.

Yeah, I wanted to make the option of other clans if people wanted to band together and join in, and I feel like 6 is still a good number to get singles doubles and quads games in. Things like byes and leaving a clan out each round just gets too messy I think, and also means that not every clan plays every game... how are we going to know who's the best if we don't have every game :p

Anyway, it's looking like there'll only be the 4 playing anyway at this point, there is still a couple of weeks though. If we do get a few players that want to join in and are clanless then yeah it's probably a good idea if they ask to join one of the existing clans.

I'm currently travelling and won't be able to participate.

:( We'll be going for a while though, masterj, (44 weeks if we stay with the 4 clans playing) hopefully the rest of The League of Shadows can hold the banner high for long enough for you to get back and join in on the fun :)

Each of the sub-forums have the MC logo on the left of them every time you come onto the forums, if there is a post that you haven't read one of them will be gold (instead of the usual grey). Just click on whichever sub-forum it is and go and find the new post :)
As well as the date of the last post like GTI suggested as well

Last edited:

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Guys you should use the "whats new" link on the forums! I use it every time. Its at the top beside the search box.

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
However it works. If a backlog of clan challenges start happening and they arent finishing. You can set a mandate they are now escalate until the back log disolves.

I assumed a single clan challenge would occur every 2 weeks resulting in 1 game. Taking 88 weeks to work our way through 22 maps with 4 team sizes each.

Or are you saying all 4 clans create a game every 2 weeks. This would only take 22 weeks to go through but be a heavy commitment on games with a backlog easily occurring.

From a brief glimpse at previous clan games. They take anywhere from 14 days to 45 days to finish depending on the complexity. I am sure some could take longer.

Another question. On singles and doubles. Are they limited to 4 player singles? 1 from each clan? or can you have 8 player singles, 12 player singles and 24 player singles? Any multiple for even clan distribution of players... I have no preferense. Just like knowing the paramters of the sandbox.

"That's a good idea GTI, what do you mean by 3 clan games though? 3 that were made by a single clan? 3 games still going in total?
The first is more like what I think would be a good idea, or maybe more than 3 in total if you were to take that approach, after all there will be 4 games (maybe 3) starting every 14 days, and with some having 12 or 24 people in them, even with escalate they'll take a while. Maybe something like 10 still going in total and everything has to be escalate?"

"Every fortnight each clan will pick one map and team size to play, create the one game, nominate a number of players from the clan and post it in the forum thread for the other clans to join. We will only play each team size for each map once, so if it has already been played (or is in the process of being played) pick another map/settings for the new game."

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I'm still not sure about how many games going at once will be too much but we will get to that when we have a few going I guess.

I assumed a single clan challenge would occur every 2 weeks resulting in 1 game. Taking 88 weeks to work our way through 22 maps with 4 team sizes each.

Or are you saying all 4 clans create a game every 2 weeks. This would only take 22 weeks to go through but be a heavy commitment on games with a backlog easily occurring.

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I thought I was being. So each clan will make 1 game a fortnight (To total 4 games every 2 weeks) so with 4 games for each map and there being 22 maps, it should take 44 weeks.

Another question. On singles and doubles. Are they limited to 4 player singles? 1 from each clan? or can you have 8 player singles, 12 player singles and 24 player singles? Any multiple for even clan distribution of players

I never thought about singles games with two or more from each clan, the thing is however, the player number for each game limits us.
Any combination of singles players that add up to game numbers that we are already playing.

For example if we had the 4 clans playing

4 player game - Singles -
8 player game - Doubles - 2x singles
12 player game - Triples - 3x singles
16 player game - doesn't exist -
20 player game - doesn't exist -
24 player game - Sixers - 6x singles - 3x doubles - 2x triples

So any game that we can fit 4 clans into already has full teams, if clans were playing towards the goal of adding to the points total here it would just end up the same as the games with bigger teams, just no reinforcements.

I think just having the larger teams in game is the way to go, otherwise it'll get confusing and we'll be playing hundreds and hundreds of games instead of the measly little 88 that we have at the moment

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
"Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I thought I was being. So each clan will make 1 game a fortnight (To total 4 games every 2 weeks) so with 4 games for each map and there being 22 maps, it should take 44 weeks."

OKay, got it. So minimum number of players starting up in a week are 4 games , all singles for 4 spots to fill from each clan. Largest number of players is 4 games, all sixers so 24 spots to fill from each clan (of course many players in multiple games.) Average would be 12 spots to be filled by each clan. That is about the average number of people in each clan. I think one may be down to 10 active players.

Now here is where the math gets fun. Each type of map has a range of days in which it is likely to end. I am not going to calculate the probabilities, but it is possible. Lets just say the range is anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks for vast majority of games. There will be some outliers with a game going for more than 8 weeks. Hopefully few and far between.

There will be many games going on at the same time once we get 6 to 8 weeks into it. So lets estimate how many spots need to be filled at the 8 week mark. I will use the average of 3 spots needing to be filled per game.

1st series of 4 games: 1 game still going
2nd series of 4 games: 2 game still going
3rd series of 4 games: 3 games still going
4th series of games: brand new series, 4 games need to be filled.

that is 10 games in total still alive once the 4th series starts. average 3 spots per game is 30 spots being filled by each clan. about 3 games per each player of the clan.

sound about right?

calume

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Old Soldiers Club will have 8 players willing to play, maybe a few more as i am still waiting on a few replies

Rimbaud

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
The Duellers Society
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
So we are doing a new clan, I promise we will be competitive, stylish and good, can we join the fun, please?

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Hmm, we have less than a week till we start, who's the we? are you going to have enough to get two new clans together?

If not then maybe joining an existing clan would be a better idea

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Hey beanz. Queston for you.

I just read where team games can include assassins and mercenary. Are those game options allowed?

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Yep, I was just assuming that that'd be part of what the clan chooses when they pick the settings of each game, be it Standard/Assassins/mercenary.

Mercenary games will still be like a standard game though, whichever team wins at the end (regardless of points gained/lost) will still get the win on the overall leaderboard.

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
It's not possible to create team mercenary or assassin games beanzy.

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Whoopsy, I got caught up in my wishful thinking that we could.

Guess we're not playing merc or assassins games then GTI