• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Maps of fictional places

ashr

Awesome Player
How about posting a list of your desired fictional or obscure environments as battle maps...maybe a Senior Cartographer will be enchanted enough to make it....?

I don;t know the Map Engine works, whether the action script has to be written by hand, or what the process is:
I think I just realized why you use flash, even though there is no animation - access to the regions. and you can do some clever highlighting and labeling and stuff more quickly than in js.

Do you hand code those events? Are you using Flex Framework? Is 1 person designing the map, and a different person designs the code?

Last edited:

ashr

Awesome Player
How about posting a list of your desired fictional environements as battle maps...maybe a Senior Cartographer will be enchanted enough to make it....?

Obvious ones - Regions of Middle Earth

But I'd like to see a Polynesian Map. Imagining South Pacific Islands at massive war tickles me to death.

ashr

Awesome Player
Neighborhoods of Manhattan? Pre or Post Industrial Revolution.

http://flickriver.com/photos/baltic86/2385581333/

newyorkistan3.JPG

The Post War Map. http://bigthink.com/ideas/21338

Map of The Island on Lost?

Or a map of the calendar - Calendria? http://bigthink.com/ideas/21483

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
you know what map i would love? World of Warcraft's Azeroth. Of course this is impossible, but it would be awesome.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I will let Shepherd pontificate on our map process. And Coda, nothing is impossible!

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
Currently, the cartographer creates the map, the highlights, the troop containers, and also creates all the data and positioning using the map control panel. It took me a long ass time for classic massive.

But there will be fictional maps for sure. I know soon we will be working on a "siege" type map involving overthrowing a castle. The first few maps need to be relatively simple with straightforward gameplay. But soon we branch out with some more abstract ideas and places. But ideas from the community are always helpful you know - give the people what they want :)

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i would be all about a zombie map...i would.. or something with a horror-esque vibe. :p

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
i would be all about a zombie map...i would.. or something with a horror-esque vibe. :p

That would be great...map a neighborhood with houses and streets as "countries." Maybe have it team based, with an outer ring of houses and streets automatically populated with non-player armies at an escalating rate, with a bit of random thrown into it (rd 1: 1-3, rd 2: 4-6, etc).

I would also like to see the Wheel of Time series world mapped out and playable.

wheeloftimemap.jpg

To stay a bit true to the book, the Blight area is un-capturable and is always refreshed to X number of troops.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
that map you just posted is a total eyesore.. lol. but the idea, would indeed be cool..
Robert Jordan creates some truly awesome worlds that would indeed be map worthy.

i am so wanting a zombie map though, i might have to make it myself. :p

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
i also love zombies - and have always wanted a zombie/horror themed map. Not sure how much of a priority that is, but someday for sure.

asunder

Awesome Player
i'm all for that, zombie maps, fantasy maps.. etc... also, colour variations of the current map would be cool too. :)

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Sometime in the not-so-distant future we'll be opening up the process of pitching map ideas and designing map layouts to the public. I won't go into all of the details just yet, but rest assured that the best map ideas will be coming from the community. For now our focus is on getting the game just right!

A quick note about fictional maps: whatever we create needs to avoid any hint of copyright infringement. I'd love to play a map of Middle Earth, but it would mean working out a deal with whomever owns the rights to make a game out of Tolkein's very popular (and revenue generating) works; other gaming sites have run into legal trouble here. Other fictional works may or may not be more likely depending on who holds the copyright and how willing they are to see their work turned into an online game. As the boss general said, nothing is impossible... but some ideas will require more hoops to be jumped through.

Of course, if we come up with our own Zombie World it's our intellectual property, so the sky's the limit in terms of user-generated fictional maps (so get to work!). And world geography isn't under copyright, so we can do whatever we want with real places.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Sometime in the not-so-distant future we'll be opening up the process of pitching map ideas and designing map layouts to the public. I won't go into all of the details just yet, but rest assured that the best map ideas will be coming from the community. For now our focus is on getting the game just right!

A quick note about fictional maps: whatever we create needs to avoid any hint of copyright infringement. I'd love to play a map of Middle Earth, but it would mean working out a deal with whomever owns the rights to make a game out of Tolkein's very popular (and revenue generating) works; other gaming sites have run into legal trouble here. Other fictional works may or may not be more likely depending on who holds the copyright and how willing they are to see their work turned into an online game. As the boss general said, nothing is impossible... but some ideas will require more hoops to be jumped through.

Of course, if we come up with our own Zombie World it's our intellectual property, so the sky's the limit in terms of user-generated fictional maps (so get to work!). And world geography isn't under copyright, so we can do whatever we want with real places.

yeah, CC's middle earth map was my favorite, until it was removed. i actually think when that map was removed, i lost some serious interest. being artists, well, asunder and i, we know all about the joys of copyright. any kind of zombie map i would think up.. would surely be something free of such hassles. i'm not a mapmaker by any means, but i definitely have an interest in giving it an attempt. i know it's not a public thing around these parts.. but still, i am sooo interested in the idea of a 'zombie' related map.. i've got worlds upon worlds in this brain of mine Shep.. to make a map of all of them, would take lifetimes. :p

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
i've got worlds upon worlds in this brain of mine Shep.. to make a map of all of them, would take lifetimes. :p
I look forward to seeing what you come up with!