• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Majcom Mentors

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I am going to update this original Post with things that I have learned from this process, the original Post will be below.

1. Don't play more games than you have the time for. This does not mean just having the time to make a move, but you must have time to study the map before each move, and determine what your enemy is doing, what you are going to do, and what your enemies reaction is going to be to that. - Thanks JCUK

2. On maps that offer it, take the easy +1 locations as long as you can defend it. - Thanks Cards

3. Before every move, before you deploy or do anything read the Brief. Make sure you understand what type of game you are playing, that way when you do Number 1, you are assessing correctly. - Thank TH

4. It does not pay tp be the leader on the board in multiplayer games, because everyone else will gang up on you. - Thanks Cards

I know that there are a lot of threads about how to play at Majcom and be successful. I believe that I am a decent player, but I want to be better, and I need to find something to change what ever it is that I am doing that causes me to loss way to many games.

I am looking for a mentor or someone that is willing to work with me, be it playing some one on one games and discussing strategy, or maybe someone that I can IM about a game that I have going on and talk strategy (If that is allowed).

If you are interested please IM me.

:banghead:

Last edited:

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
If you find someone, I'd like to take part if feasible (even if only in some games I'd be happy). I sometimes play with people who just wipe me out - I can't even blink that fast. So, if there is space for an additional "student", let me know :) (Singles and team games)

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I'll be happy to play with or against you or talk to you about games. I'll do that with anyone/everyone who wants to.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Thanks Micky and Cards, Invite sent.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
If anyone else wants to join, we can start a 4-player (or larger) game to just play and chat openly about strategies, tactics, etc.

DiorAranelEluchil

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
I want, if the call is still valid. :)

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Check your inbox for invite.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
I'm happy to join a game as well. Maybe an escalate or a teamgame? But anything is ok.

Disclaimer: I think I'd have great tips for beginners but you guys are clearly not noobs, so I'm not sure how much I can add to the discussion. We'll see.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Well given the fact that you are always at the front of the pack, and I know for me I am stuck in the bottom middle, I am sure there is a lot that I could learn.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
If we get one more we could do an open 3v3 or 2v2v2 game, thoughts?

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
I'm happy to be included, if my experience counts for anything

But then again, team games are mentoring games anyway - or at least should be

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I want to be better, and I need to find something to change what ever it is that I am doing that causes me to loss way to many games.

For what my 10 cents is worth:

From my experience of playing you and seeing you play in games, the two things that stick in my mind are not necessarily things that may come in games with a mentor(s). You play a lot of games and I don't believe that you give all the games the level of thought required to analyse the board as well as you possibly could. On a few occasions playing you, you have missed some simple moves that I was expecting you to make, I wonder if this is down to haste trying to make all your moves for that day. Slowing down also gives you more time to think a few moves ahead and look at possible options that your opponent may make, weigh up the odds and then make your move. If you cut your games by more than half you will have more time to think about the whole board better.

I have also noticed that you retaliate a lot when attacked 'even if it is not the best strategic move for you' - there are many players that play like this (play angry) and it does them no good.

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I have also noticed that you retaliate a lot when attacked 'even if it is not the best strategic move for you' - there are many players that play like this (play angry) and it does them no good.

While it is true that retaliating when attacked isn't always the best strategic move, and could and probably does cost players games, I'm not sure about the "does them no good". If someone KNOWS from past experience that attack means retaliation will be coming, it MAY cause them to think about it before attacking. I myself have a few simple rules that I follow; if the attack on me makes sense for that person, I'll accept it as part of the game. However, if it doesn't help them achieve anything, but only f*cks me over, I'll retaliate EVERY time.

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
I would love to be on this as well. Like Engineer, I feel like I am a decent player, but have MUCH room for improvement...

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
For what my 10 cents is worth:

From my experience of playing you and seeing you play in games, the two things that stick in my mind are not necessarily things that may come in games with a mentor(s). You play a lot of games and I don't believe that you give all the games the level of thought required to analyse the board as well as you possibly could. On a few occasions playing you, you have missed some simple moves that I was expecting you to make, I wonder if this is down to haste trying to make all your moves for that day. Slowing down also gives you more time to think a few moves ahead and look at possible options that your opponent may make, weigh up the odds and then make your move. If you cut your games by more than half you will have more time to think about the whole board better.

I agree however even when I do spend time studying the map, I am just not seeing the complexities of the game, and I make what I would term the simple move. And I think that is what I am trying to learn is how to see the map better. I play so many games because I do like the challenge.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I made a 7-player game with everyone who chimed in sent an invite, flat rate to discuss the strategies there, because it's a different type of game than escalate.

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
always ready to play and learn...and y'all know I got a lot to learn

Roscokov

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
I'm in if you have another one...

Obviously I know it all (cough) but is always good to see others thoughts ;)

ironztiger

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Generals
The Borg
I'd always be willing to be involved with exchanging experience, whether teaching a new player what i know or learning from someone. keep me posted if this comes around again. This would be a good thing to keep active Engineerairborne, for both the growth of players and the Majcom community.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Well I have to say thank you all, not sure if it is just a lot of hot dice, or if my play has improved that much over night, but I am now at the highest points I have ever been and just completed a run and win on a 8 person classic massive that put my rank at Deputy Major for the first time!!!!