• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Is there a setting that makes starting turn order not random?

johnjdc

Awesome Player
I only ask because, apart from terrible dice against one particular player on 2-player, I have also just been the second player for the 11th time in a row, at odds of over 2000-1 against. It wouldn't matter so much, but on 12 domains with border reinforcement and flat rate reserves, it makes a big difference!

Do I keep trying and hope my luck changes, or is this the way it is?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
That is true on any map, john. My experience on 12 domains has led me to conclude that it is the map with the absolute LEAST advantage for player 1. Next would be Nukes. All the others, a fairly significant advantage for player 1. Which is why I don't play a lot of 1v1.

Upvote 0

johnjdc

Awesome Player
Just played my 13th 2nd-turn 2-player 12-domains in a row, at staggering 8000-1 against odds. Lost of course, On deployment at turn 4 my opponent had 53 troops to my 18 from the end of turn 3. In the world of unlimited anywhere reinforcements, that was that.

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
OUCH!

I try to look at it as - "Well, I'm now due for 13 first position turns!"

Upvote 0

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
This would not be a problem or even a topic at all if we had same time game play as an option. Not to mention the fact that a casual 24 player games that last say 48 turns would take 1152 hours in same time instead of a staggering 13824 hours with current turned based option, (math based on the assumption that the average time between each player turn is 12 hours). Also real time games would be playable with large groups without having to dedicate your entire day for the game. I still belive that the first online site to get same time game play will be THE RISK SITE. Read more about same time on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_II

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Just played my 13th 2nd-turn 2-player 12-domains in a row, at staggering 8000-1 against odds. Lost of course, On deployment at turn 4 my opponent had 53 troops to my 18 from the end of turn 3. In the world of unlimited anywhere reinforcements, that was that.

Unless your opponent had ridiculously good dice (like not-losing-a-single-troop-in-3-turns dice), they would not be in any position to attack you at the beginning of turn 4. Their lead isn't a first-turn issue, it's a dice issue. Right now I'm playing 2 1v1 games on 12 Domains, started last in both. Had TERRIBLE dice in one game, reasonably good in the other. Losing badly in the game where I have bad dice, have a pretty nice lead in the other. Again, IMO, NOT a starting position issue, a dice issue.

Upvote 0

johnjdc

Awesome Player
I know I keep coming back to this issue, but I just got first move on this map for the first time in a long time. Dice have been very similar for each of us, but I am incredibly confident now. Round 6, I have 58 troops and 21 regions, so I am about to deploy to 86 troops. My opponent has 43 troops and 22 regions (plus a village). So he would be about to deploy to 74. Let's see.

OK. Terrible dice. At the end of the turn I am 77-67 down. But once I deploy I will be 102-77 up. If it were my opponent's turn again, I would be 112-67 down. Makes a whole heap of difference, dice notwithstanding. Round 7 ends with him turning in cards (flat rate) and going on tilt with a stack. 101-98. If he redeployed right now, he would walk away with the game, he controls 3 villages now, and 31 regions. He'd go 158-98 up

As it is, turn 8 begins, I deploy and go 143-101 up, and it's my turn to throw a stack his way. I just need average dice. And I get them, ending the turn 120-81 ahead. Slightly poor dice, I actually lose 23 to take 20 despite the 'attacker's advantage' in the dice. Doesn't matter. I am now due 20 reinforcements, he is due 8, unless he can do something radical. We are out of our regions and on border reinforcement, so he will struggle to get his guys to the front line.

The game ends as he sees the writing on the wall and goes awol, despite having complained earlier about people doing just that. Incidentally, supergrunt means everyone now gets four turns before going awol, it appears. That's an unforeseen downside of the whole thing!

Upvote 0