• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

How many players keep region names on?

Do you keep region names on all the time?

• Yes - As soon as my turn starts, I turn on ALL region names.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No - Names are not important with clickable maps. I keep them off unless attacking.

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
Looking for some general feedback. I am creating a map with some small regions, I guess similar to Classic Massive. I spend a lot of time trying to incorporate region names so they don't overlap borders, and are clearly labeled inside the region borders. But I'm curious how many people keep ALL the region names on during the game, or just leave the default option on, where they only appear when attacking/hovering over them.

This means sometimes the troop containers are not centered in the regions because I've left space for the names to fit. Wondering if I should focus on centering the troop containers, and place region names in a good spot, but without sacrificing troop placement.

Hope that makes sense - thanks.

64a0ca5200ea03ebd218d2263f407dbb.png
c5157eed1a5ca259b364ab52dec2b19c.png

samular

Ambassador
Awesome Player
I only hit the "Names" button to reference:

• Where the territories on my Reserves are
  • Where a diplo agreement is
  • what happened during a round (from the record)

During my actual deployment-assault-reinforcement, names really don't matter, given the interface.

Last edited:

cko

Awesome Player
I keep them on but only when I need a diplomatic action :D, then I turn them off XD. hope it helps.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
yes.. great for reference. otherwise everything is a click away.

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
once I turn them on, I leave them on. The biggest reasons for having them on are diplo agreements and discussing/ explaining strategy to teammates. For me it really depends on the settings, if it's a team game, I turn them on immediately, if it's standard or merc they go on if/when I utilize diplo.

francismart7

Awesome Player
I only hit the "Names" button to reference:

• Where the territories on my Reserves are
  • Where a diplo agreement is
  • what happened during a round (from the record)

During my actual deployment-assault-reinforcement, names really don't matter, given the interface.

Same here.

Avitray

Awesome Player
I only use them when I suggest Diplomacy and recieve them, or telling team mates to reinforce out of reigons. or ese I don't use them

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
This means sometimes the troop containers are not centered in the regions because I've left space for the names to fit. Wondering if I should focus on centering the troop containers, and place region names in a good spot, but without sacrificing troop placement.

I know right where you are coming from Rj. I have had to make thsi compromise on my maps as well.
Here is my issue with centering containers and then letting the names fall where they may.
We will have some very big readability issues.

Here are 2 things that might work:
1)If there was a way to have the names and troop containers be centered and only show 1 at a time or overlay the names over the containers
the centering issue would be fixed.
However this opens a new issue of the text covering the container values and not begin able to show both usable at the same time.

2) We have location settings for the containers for TEXT ON/OFF. Then when the text is OFF the containers are more correctly centered. And when the text is ON, both text and container are located.
The issue here is double the centering work and the map will have containers bouncing all over as a player toggles the map text.

Just the two options I can think of right now.

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Maybe something that could be really useful and that could solve the namething.

When you hover a name of a player, his countries are enlightened.

Maybe its an idea that when you hover then name of a country, that name could be enlightened. That way there is almost no need to put on names and that way they are less important.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Maybe something that could be really useful and that could solve the namething.

When you hover a name of a player, his countries are enlightened.

Maybe its an idea that when you hover then name of a country, that name could be enlightened. That way there is almost no need to put on names and that way they are less important.
It already does that. Hover over the player name across the top and all those regions will highlight white