• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Half a year on MajCom and still a 1vs1 Newbie/n00b

coolname

Awesome Player
I'm still having major issues with playing 1vs1 games. I'm not a complete newbie, but on the one-on-ones, I'm a complete n00b (I guess I am a real team player...).

My record is 0-5 in 1-vs-1s. I would really like to hear some strategic pointers for this game type. To me, it seems almost all chance. But that doesn't explain why I consistently lose and others consistently win. Perhaps the winner of jeymo's tournament can enlighten me.

[Hmm, the above sounds a bit melodramatic and AA-like (as in Alcoholics Anonymous, not AA Fitz); "My name is coolname and I suck at one-on-ones"] Anyway, help is appreciated.

Update: I already got some usefull pointers from the Wiki:
http://www.majorcommand.com/wiki/Two_Player_Classic_Evolved

Last edited:

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
1v1 is tough because you don't know if you have lost due to poor moves or poor luck, or both. Also, 3 of your 1v1 games are against some good players, spazm and jeymo, so those will be tough to win.

In general some rules i play by, keep in mind i am no expert.

1. Never let them have a bonus before the 4th round.
2. don't leave open 1's. Often its an attrition war, and each region you pick up ,and then leave a 2 on, is one step closer to victory.
3. Sometimes its best not to attack in the first round. set up for an attack in round 2, where you can do more damage.

Upvote 0

Kjell

Awesome Player
I've had some luck 1vs1 against pretty highranking opponents for some reason. I'd say it's a lot about initial starting positions and then pretty much what the tutorial videos and badorties say. I try to attack if possible to get a reserve card, calling in a set of those can be invaluable.

Upvote 0

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
Well 1v1 is what I do best, coolname, and Bado (for the most part) hit the nail on the head. The larger the map, the less chance and luck are a factor. If you're playing a 1v1 on classic mini and both players know what they're doing, whoever goes first WILL win. End of story. If the 2nd player happens to win, it's b/c either the first player has no idea what they're doing or got incredibly awful dice. This is why I only play on class mass now. There are many regions and so many troops you have to deal with that strategy becomes a much greater factor.

Upvote 0

coolname

Awesome Player
3. Sometimes its best not to attack in the first round. set up for an attack in round 2, where you can do more damage.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little confused about your last tip. If there is such a first-mover advantage, shouldn't you move first? Also, this third tip could also suggest deliberately missing your first turn, so you can fortify with your deferred troops.

Additional take-aways I got from the tutorials:
4. At the start, don't put all reinforcements in one region. Adding one to a territory with 3 gives you4 and an extra attack ("soften up") [if this doesn't make sense; check out the tutorial, first move by Inca]
5. Look carefully at the number of territories your opponent has. You get one army/troop for every three territories you own. So get your opponent to 23 or 26 regions (I knew this, but I think it is especially important in 1v1).

Upvote 0