• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Getting a command on the drop

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Hi, I don't think I've ever started a game with a command straight from the drop. Does that ever happen or does the code prevent that?

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Hi,

I cant recall that it ever happened in one of the games I was in, I believe this is indeed coded :)

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Territories are allocated randomly.
The computer then checks to see if any bonuses were created.
If so, the drop is scrapped and another random allocation is created.
This repeats until there is a drop with no bonuses.

This process happens immediately after a player joins the last empty spot in a game.

It is usually calculated in less than a second, but on some maps the computer can try over a hundred combinations before a random drop with no bonuses is found.

In the past, some maps like Europe Massive which have several 2 territory commands, the computer would hit it's hard limit of 500 random drops before abandoning the process. This would cause some games to never be created. To get around this, some of the map makers would force 1 out of the 2 territories in a command to be neutral. Like Iceland for example will always have 1 neutral territory. This, in combination with some tweaks to the code, has prevented ghost games from disappearing.

I believe the new beta engine uses a different approach, eliminating the need for several hundred random attempts at a fair drop. But it has been a couple years since this was an issue, so I forget what the exact details of the new engine are.

Thanks for asking!

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter

This process happens immediately after a player joins the last empty spot in a game.

It is usually calculated in less than a second, but on some maps the computer can try over a hundred combinations before a random drop with no bonuses is found.

In the past, some maps like Europe Massive which have several 2 territory commands, the computer would hit it's hard limit of 500 random drops before abandoning the process. This would cause some games to never be created. To get around this, some of the map makers would force 1 out of the 2 territories in a command to be neutral. Like Iceland for example will always have 1 neutral territory. This, in combination with some tweaks to the code, has prevented ghost games from disappearing.

I believe the new beta engine uses a different approach, eliminating the need for several hundred random attempts at a fair drop. But it has been a couple years since this was an issue, so I forget what the exact details of the new engine are.

Thanks for asking!

You re the best!

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns

Thanks for asking!

Amazing answer, thanks Sheriff!! How interesting, well it certainly works. I like coding, and here I see that familiar combination of 1. An elegant solution, and 2. just fixing it (by shoving a neutral onto Iceland because it helps!) :)

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
yes! that IS awesome! :adore:

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Amazing answer, thanks Sheriff!! How interesting, well it certainly works. I like coding, and here I see that familiar combination of 1. An elegant solution, and 2. just fixing it (by shoving a neutral onto Iceland because it helps!) :)
Agreed, :alberteinstein::driver: