• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Color Theme for British Isles

mikescar

Awesome Player
This is the first time I've played the british isles map, which seems really cool with the city blow-outs and whatnot.

I appreciate the time that went into designing the map. It's pretty sweet strategically, but it is rather difficult to view. The similar shades of brown on top of dark map features, combined with city blow-outs results in a map that is not easy to view.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-03 at 10.35.57 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-09-03 at 10.35.57 PM.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 109

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
you can change the players colors to make it easier, mike.
But, you are correct. There seem to be MANY shades of brown and dark colors in the palette on that map, which can make it difficult. I personally have to go through the entire color palette every time I play a game on that map to change the colors to some that are visible and not too similar. A few brighter colors would be an improvement.

X-DEADBOY-X

Awesome Player
Hey Mikescar. I love your avatar. I, being a beard enthusiast myself, can respect that. Fear the beard indeed.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I can tell you that the map itself is set as far as colors go but the troop containers can be tweaked.
What particularly would help out with the viewing for the troop containers?

Let me know and I can make up another 6 or so shades and load them.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
widow, any bright colors would help. you have a good, bright green (lima bean) and (light) blue, the reds ( "fire" and "red") are both dark and can be hard to tell apart. The two shades of purple can sometimes be hard to tell apart, ditto the yellows. A bright red (like the "target" color on the cold war map ) replacing one of the others would help a lot. Maybe, if you're going to add colors, some colors like on the massive map, the "enemy" colors with borders? I particularly like the 'cloudy' (white with blue border) and 'enemy white' (white with red border) colors on that map, very distinctive.

There are enough colors now so that you can change them and make them distinct, unless its a 12-person game, then it's challenging to set the colors so that you can't be confused.

Thanks!

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
I think the map looks sharp as hell. In my opinion, it's the best aesthetically. Don't change a damn thing, widz

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
i also just love this map!

dont remove the dark colors, just add some brighter ones, for those who want to use them. I prefer the ones used now.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
well, I agree with those who said the map was (is) sharp. It's one of my favorites. I'm not suggesting that any changes be made to the map, 'cause it doesn't need any. I just gave my opinion that more bright colors for the trooop containers would be helpful, especially in large games.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
How are these additions?
82ca5fc3a9cb180c142ff166f03c98c9.png

They are uploaded and ready to use.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
excellent! You're the best, Wids.

mapguy

Awesome Player
As awesome as this map is, Like most things, it CAN be improved upon. I started a thread back 5 months or so. -
http://www.majorcommand.com/forums/threads/2008-British-Isles-(sug).?p=21905#post21905

While I love a complicated map above all others, this map is overly complicated. The insets are not located in the optimum locations on the map. When I was new to this map, I miss-deployed many times because of this issue. Now I end up killing the hell out of those that make the same mistakes that I once did on this map.

Although I might end up winning less games, I would rather see it made a bit less complicated by moving the insets to better and more congruent locations on the map.