• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Classic Massive Massive

HorusKhan

Awesome Player
I think it would be cool if we would have a map with every country in the world. It would also have the states of the USA and the territories/provinces of Canada, and other big countries would also be split into parts. The problem is that I don't know how to make/draw a map like that. :( :( :( What could I do to make this map a reality?

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Are we talking about a single map here? or multiple maps?

If single map:
- because of our limit of map size (which is 1000 px width, and suggested to be less than 800 px) it is not possible to include, let's say, all fifty states of america, as most of them would be a real challenge to make them even clickable. The Classic Massive that we have here is already quite cramped, and with more regions in this map you are proposing it is perhaps very likely to be unplayable.
- What about the smaller sovereign states on the globe? for example singapore - is that going to be in there? If you say it is too small to be in there, you have just got my point.

If multiple maps:
- we will eventually have a lot of maps from various parts of the world (or various worlds). But with that being said, the cartographers and staff need to be presented with a draft in the this studio, and deem the gameplay and idea is worthy of being made, before it all becomes a reality.

If you want some info on what is needed in presenting a map idea, click the link below.
http://www.majorcommand.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34114

Sorry if I crushed your dream, but if you try putting Andorra or Monaco on the map, you will find that making them sizable to even see doesn't work compared to all the other bigger countries on the globe.

HorusKhan

Awesome Player
OK. But still, I am good at drawing maps (with a pencil and some paper). If a world map that that isn't possible, then I'll try something else, it's still fun. On that link you sent me, it says exactly what I read in the Wiki, that I need to do it in Photoshop or GIMP. Can't I do it with pencil, paper, take a photo, upload it to my computer and post it here?

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
you can do whatever you want - but once you get a working map, and have a theme, one of the studio mappers will take it and generate graphics for the site. Just saying that this site doesn't allow users to upload their own maps (like some other sites).

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
A great map will also have great gameplay. It's something that is paramount here, so while it may seem fun to have a map with every country and state, it may provide for a miserable playing experience.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Can't I do it with pencil, paper, take a photo, upload it to my computer and post it here?
Yes, you can do this, and if this is your preferred method of working, go for it. But be aware that there are two things (that i can think of) which may trip you up...

1. It's going to get tedious. Every time somebody makes a suggestion, are you going to redraw the map and rescan it? Are you going to keep erasing and editing and rescanning? The beauty of working in a program like photoshop is you can make simple changes in a few minutes and upload it to the site in a couple of quick actions.

2. Since the final product will be produced digitally, it helps to do drafts digitally as well so you know you are working within the confines of what is possible and practical. If I told you that the max width of your image has to be 1,000 pixels, do you know how to translate that into your drawing? (It's not hard to do actually, but I just wanted you to have it in mind.)

As for the idea itself, a really massive map would indeed be popular, especially for 12p and 24p games, but I'm not sure that yet another representation of the world is the way to go. Classic Massive does a pretty good job of representing a lot of countries, and those that are missing are too small to represent given our space limitations; if the Vatican, Monaco, San Marino, Luxembourg, Andorra, and Lichtenstein were all shown, Europe would be a mess. And two-thirds of the globe is water; Rj has taken some liberties and reduced the ocean % to about half, but that still means half of the map area is unsuitable for play.

If you really wanted to pack a lot of regions into a map, pick a land mass that fits nicely into a rectangle. For example, imagine a USA Massive, with 50 Bonus Commands (states) made up of hundreds of counties.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
that would actually be a pretty cool 'large' map, shep

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
that would actually be a pretty cool 'large' map, shep

There are 3,143 counties in the USA... but it could be consolidated i suppose... just don't cut out MY county, lol...

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
While I like this idea I want to warn everyone that it is not as easy as just listing numbers and a graphical theme.
I have some experience in makign LARGE region count maps in the past. There are two ways to do this that work efficiently that I have found if you want the most regions per pixel (rpp). That woudl be a fun little stat for maps. haha.

1) Hex grid - I think we all know what this is. Repeatable hex pattern represents each region.
Pros: LOTS of regions.
Cons: No dismilarm look. Repeated pattern does not play well with land masses or organic geographical formations. Borders and connections are harder to control (i.e. MAX number of borders per region in 6)

2) City and Road concept - Cram as many troop containers in a space, use abreivated names, connect with lines.
Pros: More organic feel. Can fill spaces more accuratly for teh geographical space. More flexible.
Cons: VERY busy and potentially hard to follow due to uneven spacing of names, regiona dn connections.

These are teh two version si have experience with.
Option #1 works but people tend to view it as boring and/or not exciting to play on.
Option #2 works but peopel tend to view it as busy and not exiting to play on. lol

If any of you know my previous works then you will know and understadn what i am talking about.

----------------------------------------------

My opinion woudl be to FIRST figure out:
1) how many regions you really want
2) How many commands you really want
3) How all of those need to interact (border, movement, etc)
4) How each region will be named properly (size, space, name lenght)
4) Then figure out to dump all those requirmetns in the space alloted (rough draft) to see if it is even feasible.​
Hope this helps.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Good points Shep. As cool as I thought my metro/underground maps would be, this is why I gave up on them. Once I started thinking about the topology, it didn't make sense without trying to pound that round peg into a square hole.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
bottom line is an uber-massive map could be really good... or it could be really really awful.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
the bigger it is, the less the dice matter, the less going second matters, the more strategy matters depending upon the settings...and the particular make up of the map. It needs some strategic areas to give a strong player a chance to overcome going second or silly dice...then...its the perfect map....one in which the better player will win far more often than not.

HorusKhan

Awesome Player
So, what is the max. length of a map? You only said what the width is. USA Massive is a great idea. Is anybody actuallt going to draw that? (Not me, it wasn't my idea.)

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
The suggested height of a map is 1000 px x 600 px. But we have allowed under 800 px, if needed, for minimal scrolling.

and one person's opinion on something as a great idea won't necessary be carried out in definitely... so if someone wants to draft it, take this and deal with it, so we can scale it on its worthiness.

stone123

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
Yes Yes Yes another type of clasic massive map,, WAHOOOOO please please the original is my favourite so anything similar gets my vote

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
if anyione wants to do it they need to read the posts that Shep and I left a few back and post a draft.