• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Chat box should read from top to bottom.

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
Reading the chat from bottom to top is unnatural and drives me crazy. Why is that so? I've seen in most chat boxes the new entries appear at the bottom. I think this should be an easy fix and would make the chat easier to read and the game more enjoyable.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
It is more natural. Downside would be there are some players who take turns quickly, and only read the last chat item, not scrolling down to read. Players who don't scroll will then become even less involved in developing and executing team strategy.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Omg....love the current chat! Don't change it! All of my team games I would have to scroll FOREVER if it was to change....and I hate re-reading stuff. The current system is a time saver for me. :lollypop:

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Well, if new chat were to appear at the bottom, the default display would need to be scrolled all the way down.

However, I wouldn't wanna change a working system. It might be more intuitive for new players, but it would piss off and confuse a lot of us oldies...

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
Thank you! off course the display would be bottom first. The present system is aggravating, especially when you write long entries. You have to read the entry from top to bottom, then go back to top to read the reply. It's really annoying.

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
Omg....love the current chat! Don't change it! All of my team games I would have to scroll FOREVER if it was to change....and I hate re-reading stuff. The current system is a time saver for me. :lollypop:

As Sebrim noted, the display would show the last entry. That's how most chat systems work. Then you can scroll back if you want to read the previous entries.

BroncoBlue89

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
Kickstarter
I agree with peri, I like the way the Chatter page is currently setup. It would drive me crazy if I had to scroll to the bottom to read the latest posted chat message. I like seeing it right at the top.

CaptSweatpants

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
Kickstarter
is
it
way
the
fine
is
it
think
I

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
I agree with peri, I like the way the Chatter page is currently setup. It would drive me crazy if I had to scroll to the bottom to read the latest posted chat message. I like seeing it right at the top.

The display would be scrolled down to the last entry.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
:hahaha:
is
it
way
the
fine
is
it
think
I

actually if there was a way the system can scroll down to the text you didn't read (like FB, WhatsApp, Line etc) sure! i'm game for that. :lollypop:

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
:hahaha:

actually if there was a way the system can scroll down to the text you didn't read (like FB, WhatsApp, Line etc) sure! i'm game for that. :lollypop:

Yes. There is a way, as you said, all those platforms already do it that way. Another option would be to let the player choose his / her preference. Just saying.

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Yes I think some have misunderstood - I don't think that anyone would suggest a situation where a chat window defaulted to the earliest chat and had to be scrolled through every time. Either way, the most recent messages would be displayed.

Personally, however, although I can see the argument for a more typical top-to-bottom chat history, I do like the fact that the chat entry field is above the chat history so that one can be typing and simultaneously viewing the map, referencing tert names etc. and seeing the most recent comments, including ones potentially arriving as one types. I don't think this could be achieved as well with the top-to-bottom layout being suggested.

There was a reason that the chat window was implemented in that way, it wasn't simply arbitrary; it was presumably conceived as the 'best' way to lay it out.

Maybe I am going against the tide here, but for me, I think that how it is implemented now is the best way, for the reasons stated, and it's hardly difficult to get used to.

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
I have a big screen and I can not see the map and the chat box at the same time. I have to scroll the screen up and down. The solution to that problem would be to put the chat box either at the left or the right of the map. The actual layout has a lot of unused space on both sides. On the opposite side we could have the list of players, that way we could see all the players in the order in which the are playing without scrolling left and right (I'm talking about games with more than 8 players, for instance). Although in the new engine there are two rows to display the players at the top, so that problem has been addressed. As per seeing the new comments as you type, that works too with the top to bottom display. The box where you type and the display are separated. Anyway, so far in the survey I did the opinions are divided 50/50 exactly so I think this discussion is going nowhere. Thanks for your input.

Vbuhp28.jpg

Last edited:

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
If the new site is implemented to take advantage of the fact that most monitors/laptops are widescreen now then there are of course lots of other potential layout options given the new screen real-estate that would provide. The layout of the present site is obviously quite narrow/dated

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
I have a big screen and I can not see the map and the chat box at the same time.

Oh, here is the problem. RISK is a game about world domination. As such, it should be projected onto your wall about 3 meters (10 feet) high, similar to a military headquarters.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
If the new site is implemented to take advantage of the fact that most monitors/laptops are widescreen now then there are of course lots of other potential layout options given the new screen real-estate that would provide. The layout of the present site is obviously quite narrow/dated

I LOVE the current layout! I've been on other risk like sites (which shall not be named) where the chatter tab is on the side. I HATE it. Although, keep in mind I play 95% of my turns off my cell phone. So I found MC is the most user friendly and graphically sophisticated risk site to play on a cell phone. I think more and more people would prefer to play off a computer screen...but the reality is we do play off our phones or tablets (i think). :lollypop:

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
Change it, and I'll be confused. Then the few people that like playing team games with me will then hate playing team games with me. :p