• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

British Isles Map

VetaBANNED

Awesome Player
Hey there, I have a question about the balance on the British Isles Map. Has anyone else noticed that Ireland gets a +4 bonus for only 5 territories? All the 5 territory commands on that map are +3 (not to mention all the +2 commands are 4 territories, a 1 land difference). As far as the other +4 commands are concerned, Scotland is 9 lands and Central England is 8 lands but has a much wider border, thus being harder to protect. So what gives, Ireland doesn't have a particularly hard border to defend, although maybe I'm not seeing something the map devs saw, and Ireland is also conveniently located around a lot of other commands, such that maintaining a large portion of ireland will ultimately net you the rest of the island in the late game. So my real question: does this seem like a bit of an imbalance and does this provide an advantage to those who randomly get more troops assigned in Ireland, as opposed to say another +4 command?

Edit: When I say advantage I mean, is a player more likely to win because he or she starts with a better presence in Ireland? Also, I just remembered, besides the advantage of a +4 command for only 5 territories Northern Ireland is also the only +2 command for less than 4 territories, further providing advantages to hold Ireland as opposed to say Central England or Norther England. Finally, don't get me wrong I understand the maps can't be perfectly symmetrical in balance and opportunity, but at the same time I feel like the problem in Ireland could easily be corrected by reducing the command bonus to +3 from +4. The rest looks great to me. Also thanks for such a great map in the first place!

Last edited:

mapguy

Awesome Player
Being able to read a map is a virtue. One can determine these small advantages and use this knowledge to win more games than a player that just figures that everything is even, and goes about things in a more haphazard manner. So I say to you, just file the analysis, and use it to defeat less knowledgeable players.