• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Before I join my first assassin game...

Rimbaud

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
The Duellers Society
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Try four or five players assassin with flat rate on a big map, it is one of the most interesting setting I have played, also, try to play it with experienced and active players.

hf

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Still unconvinced at the merits of assassin. This game was the silliest thing I've been a part of here: https://www.majorcommand.com/games/440051/

Really? Someone was done in 5 rounds? Even if no one played any of their turns, it would've probably taken me about 20 rounds to eliminate my target (riskyone, who was nowhere near me and in multiple places). My game was D.O.A.

Assassins are blah! My $0.02! >>Upset-sumo-guy-emoji<<

molikotigoBANNED

Awesome Player
the game is over and has been won by someone.
-Therefore, the "usual" strategy of eliminating non-target players in order to get their cards doesn't apply in assassin because by eliminating another player, you're actually eliminating someone's target and therefore winning the game for that someone.

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Q. In a 4p assassin, is it possible for players A and B to have each other as targets, while C and D have each other as targets?

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
Q. In a 4p assassin, is it possible for players A and B to have each other as targets, while C and D have each other as targets?

Yes

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
So there is no restrictions on how the targets are assigned at all, correct? In an 8p, 6 of the players can have a target "circle", while the remaining 2 players can have each other, correct?

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Also correct. The only time a guaranteed target circle is 3p assassin.

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
OK I figured it out. Assassin can be fun.

It has to be a "low player" game. I had previously joined two 24ps and a 10p game, and those were the most unenjoyable games I'd ever been involved in. The winners seemed completely random.

But I'm in a 4p tiebreaker and there is definitely "strategy" required. "Order of attack" is critical, and there is no fear of "failure to fully eliminate an opponent on a given turn", unlike in standard where you'd leave remains/cards for someone else to conquer. So that really unpleasant uncertainty that is present when you're unsure if you'll successfully conquer someone, at risk of giving the game away to the player after you, doesn't exist in assassin. Which is nice. I utterly hate that feeling.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Huh ...makes me want to try :ridinghorse:

clarkenfeld

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
Huh ...makes me want to try :ridinghorse:

Just make sure you're in a game with only experienced players. Otherwise it's almost guaranteed to be annoying, unless your target is taken out by one of said inexperienced players!

You have to have confidence that all players are watching the whole game.

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Some of the most exciting games I have played on here have been Assassin games; the ever-shifting dynamic between the players. Sometimes you are attacking your target, sometimes your attacker. Sometimes trying to keep someone else alive. It's stressful to play, exciting to win.

It can also be the most frustrating setting though, and sometimes - as you say - a lottery (12p Mesopotamia assassin: I'm looking at you).

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Example of someone killing someone else's target. Incredibly, on the killer's last turn, he only killed 3 terts, and those were the 3 remaining terts of the person they killed off, who again, was not their target. He apologizes in the chat for having done that. Confusing.

https://www.majorcommand.com/games/538391/

Last edited:

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Now if only the targets could be my ex wives....