• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Before I join my first assassin game...

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
OK - so just trying to get my head around the purpose/goal of the game. Let me know if the following are true:

-The game is WON and the game ENDS, when a target is defeated.
-Every player in the game is a target. Thus, if anyone dies, the game is over and has been won by someone.
-Therefore, the "usual" strategy of eliminating non-target players in order to get their cards doesn't apply in assassin because by eliminating another player, you're actually eliminating someone's target and therefore winning the game for that someone.

Yes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Yes, that is all correct.

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Same thing if someone goes AWOL? So if an AWOL target is eliminated, the player who had the AWOL as their target, wins?

Can an AWOL player win if the person who was their target gets eliminated?

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Uh-oh, I have a feeling Sebrim can't wait to answer this question.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Uh-oh, I have a feeling Sebrim can't wait to answer this question.

I will find you, and I will kill you. Goes for Seb, too.

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
I will find you, and I will kill you. Goes for Seb, too.

:hahaha:

Virtuoso has no idea what he just walked into...

It must've happened before "my time" here, but I did come across it on the forum sometime back. And I did get a good chuckle out of it. :flute:

But yes, Virtuoso, assassin games require a whole different strategy than "standard" games. They're both entertaining and a pain in the butt (if you get involved in a good one, anyway.) :D

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
OK... so given how the gameplay works, is there ever any case in which a 3rd party would kill-off someone who wasn't their target? (and if so, why?) Or do games always end in the proper manner, with someone killing off THEIR target, and not someone else's?

Last edited:

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
OK... so given how the gameplay works, is there ever any case in which a 3rd party would kill-off someone who wasn't their target? (and if so, why?) Or do games always end in the proper manner, with someone killing off THEIR target, and not someone else's?

Ideally, someone kills their own target to win. But there have been a few assassin games here and there where that didn't happen. The reasons for this vary case by case, but mostly it was done out of spite. Not cool at all.

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
Same thing if someone goes AWOL? So if an AWOL target is eliminated, the player who had the AWOL as their target, wins?

Can an AWOL player win if the person who was their target gets eliminated?

Yes. If somebody kills your target, you win. I have never seen it, but it's possible. You will see sometimes people protecting other players in order to block the assassin and have a chance to win themselves. It's a little like detective work. You must know who wants to kill who, and be lucky enough to have a chance to kill your target before anybody figures out who your target is.

Roscokov

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
I have won a few games where people have killed my target.

Sometimes they just get their colours wrong...sometimes they don't understand the concept. I have not really seen it done out of spite...but then I don't often check my lost games so who knows ;)

More often what happens though is that during the game somebody is not concentrating and to tries kill the wrong person and then realises just in time/after wasting half their troops.

On the whole though - whilst it seems a lot harder there are actually far fewer bad moves and mistakes than in normal games I would reckon.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
On the whole though - whilst it seems a lot harder there are actually far fewer bad moves and mistakes than in normal games I would reckon.

OK - that sounds promising. So you're saying in assassin you're less likely to be hawgwilded or pac10donned than in standard??? :p

I have been challenged to reply to this thread, so I'll do it, even if it would mean experiencing Cardinalsrule's wrath :tongue

So... I'm guessing Cardinals knew what he was doing when he did that? The question is, whether he did it out of spite? (and according to F15FreeEagle, "Not cool at all.") :p

OK - one last thing. These two quotes are a great segue into my last question. The answer may require input from the really top players here:

It's a little like detective work. You must know who wants to kill who
But yes, Virtuoso, assassin games require a whole different strategy than "standard" games.

What, in your experience, is the best way to not-reveal one's target in a 2-player assassin game?

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Oh no, Cards would neer do something like that if he was fully awake. He just feels bad that I keep reminding him about that one horrible mistake every time the topic comes up. So much so that even the mention of 'Sebrim might have something to say' reminds him of it.
You will hardly find anybody as competent as Cards on this site - which makes this one-time blunder all the more bitter for him :)

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
Oh no, Cards would neer do something like that if he was fully awake. He just feels bad that I keep reminding him about that one horrible mistake every time the topic comes up. So much so that even the mention of 'Sebrim might have something to say' reminds him of it.
You will hardly find anybody as competent as Cards on this site - which makes this one-time blunder all the more bitter for him :)

Absolutely. Cards would never do anything "out of spite" unless the "victim" truly deserves it. And even then it doesn't carry on to other games. And he is not alone in this. I have "suicided" against "well-deserving" players before. Twice that I can remember for certain anyway.

And just what do you mean by "2 player assassin games?" In a 3 player assassin game, everybody knows who is who's target right away, because 2 players cannot be targeting each other it a 3 player game (it would leave the 3rd player without a target and assassin.)

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
And just what do you mean by "2 player assassin games?"

It was meant as a joke. Some things don't communicate well online.

One more Q. I'm assuming the assignment of targets is random. Is it possible for one's target to also be one's assassin?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

No, that was a stupid mistake on my part. I was going through to get to my target and wasn't paying attention, didn't notice that the tert that I was just trying to get through was the player's last. The really sad part was, if I hadn't done that, I had a large enough stack to easily win the game before I lost it.

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
One more Q. I'm assuming the assignment of targets is random. Is it possible for one's target to also be one's assassin?

Anyone? In multiplayer does the assignment of targets allow two players to be assigned to kill each other a la Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Anyone? In multiplayer does the assignment of targets allow two players to be assigned to kill each other a la Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

Yes

Virtuoso

Awesome Player
Sooooo..... I'm finding assassin games to be the most luck-dependent of anything I've played so far. If you're on a big map, and your target is in multiple faraway positions, you're basically SOL, and there's not much you can do about it. I haven't found enjoyment in this game type yet...