• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Ancient Greece idea!

magerapstar

Awesome Player
Greetings all, I was just seeking opinions on a map (for majcom) of Ancient Greece. I think it could be adapted quite well given the oppurtunity, and I am currently working on it.

Here are some sample maps to have a squiz at!

Opinions??

Cheers guys :trytofly:

Attachments

• map1.jpg
    map1.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 1,769
  • MAP_OF_GREECE.png
    MAP_OF_GREECE.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 659
  • greece.gif
    greece.gif
    278.2 KB · Views: 228

BisJar

Awesome Player
Looks pretty sweet. Is there gonna be anything special on it?

magerapstar

Awesome Player
Hmm well I was thinking, keep it simple. But I'm open to any new ideas and/or help. =)

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Thematically you can have a lot of fun with an ancient Greece map... gods, wars, literary epics. Trojan War, Iliad/Odyssey, Persian Wars, Empire of Alexander, etc.

Trojan_War_Map.jpg

odyssey_map.jpg

persian_wars_map.jpg

magerapstar

Awesome Player
Very nice! I especially like that first map. It is as you say, there is just so much you could do with a map like this.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
It would be pretty cool if you had two pop-out cities (Troy and Sparta?) like on the British Isles map. Then, if there was support from the powers that be, a new gamestyle of Capture the Flag (or capitol) which allows one to "win" if you capture the territory that is the enemies base. It appears from the first map above that there is already nice room for both popouts with detail.

Pretty basic gameplay idea, but it would of course require additional backend programming. This gamestyle would work well on this map, a Civil War map, etc. etc. I'm sure it's already somewhere on a To Do list. Could be used as a 1v1 map, but even better as 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 etc.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
A Trojan War map in which the goal was to hold both capitals is brilliant. You could island hop or take the long way around.

+1 idea Chilly.

Mage, are you interested in working this project further, or were you just tossing the idea out there?

magerapstar

Awesome Player
In response to the question: I would be interested in working on this further, it seems like a great idea, at the same time any help is greatly appreciated!
The team game idea is golden too. Some sort of gametype like this is great, because there is nothing like it on majcom really.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
actually we already have a "Region Objective" game type coded, though the bugs haven't been worked out yet (and it's holding up a map!). It's pretty straightforward - one player holds region X, Y, and Z to start his turn and the game is over. Such a system would work just right for this map.

The "Capture the Flag" game style isn't without merit, but what does it mean for games with three or more players? Simpler to design the map in such a way that the two opposing cities start with some or all of the region neutral, so everybody has the same chance at them - and everybody takes the same risk trying to capture them.

I tend to dig maps with a historical theme or that tell a story, and I'll happily help where I can with this idea.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
it could be nice to re take this idea :)

jburl

Awesome Player
AncientGreecemap-Copy_zps086490b0.jpg

How's this. There are 24 cities. I got the names from various maps on google images. I don't know what the commands or territories should be. Please help.

trailblazer

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Spaceballs
The "Capture the Flag" game style isn't without merit, but what does it mean for games with three or more players? Simpler to design the map in such a way that the two opposing cities start with some or all of the region neutral, so everybody has the same chance at them - and everybody takes the same risk trying to capture them.

I tend to dig maps with a historical theme or that tell a story, and I'll happily help where I can with this idea.

+1 to retake this idea

jburl

Awesome Player
AncientGreecemap2_zps30392a1c.jpg

The command names are as follows clockwise from the top.
Thrace (green)
Troas (red)
Bithynia (purple)
Phyrgia (green)
Mysia (orange)
Lydia (blue)
Caria (yellow)
Lycia (purple)
Dodecanese Islands (red)
Cyclades Islands (green)
Crete (blue)
Messenia (orange)
Aetolia (purple)
Ionian Islands (red)
Attica (yellow)
Eprius (green)
Thessaly (blue)
East Macedonia (red)
Macedonia (orange)
West Macedonia (yellow)
North Aegean Islands (purple)
The grey regions are barbarian regions. They would have no command bonus in the game. Cities would be one or two auto-deploy.

There are 24 cities on this map. I picked most of them randomly from a map with a whole bunch of old Greek cities on it, so I don't know how big they were. I tried to go for a good spread over the map.

The name of the city that is not named on the map above is Corinth.

Last edited:

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
+1 to retake this idea

for this we would need at least 12 cities/flags or even 24, like in 12 domains 12 castles and 12 towns, spread across the map, and a configuration where each player starts in a songle region *dont know if its possible yet, or in case that players starts with equal city/flags the objetive should et all the flags, for that meaning maybe there could be a central point with several neutrals, that also can bombard each city *like antartica map, for those who know it

jburl

Awesome Player
AncientGreecemap3_zps683f9bea.jpg

The same map as above with territories added.
There are 21 commands, 24 cities, 110 territories, and the Barbarian Regions, which have no command bonus. I think this map would lend itself to either conquest or standard play styles. I have no idea what to name the territories. I was thinking that the barbarian regions might not need any names. If any-one has input it would be appreciated.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I've said this before and I don't mean to be debbie downer, but before anybody spends too much time developing a map it should be clear that there will be little support for new map production until such time as the site's larger issues are ironed out.

That doesn't mean you can't work on something - just that it will be a while (months? years?) before a new map is launched.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
That doesn't mean you can't work on something - just that it will be a while (months? years?) before a new map is launched.

Yep Shep, Im aware of it, and my post to retake it was a time ago when I didnt know that, but anyway a bit brianstorming may be cool, maybe in months, or years, we can enjoy this greece map :)