• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Alaska Map

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I was thinking of other maps that would have interesting gameplay and came up with an idea.
alaska-county-map.gif

Alaska would make for an interesting medium- to large-sized map, I believe, with between 10 and 15 commands based on the counties/regions. Plus 1s could be oil wells, gold mines, maybe the popular touristy cities in the south - Juneau, Ketchican, Skagway. (I believe the popular "bridge to nowhere" was in Ketchikan? Maybe that should be a minus-1) Possibly something could be done with the pipeline to incorporate that.

I don't remember the glitch/bug with the middle east map, was it the auto-win condition for the oil wells? Because maybe owning the entire pipeline, with 11 pumping stations, could be an auto-win if that works. If that was the glitch then never mind.

Maybe make the Valdez tert (terminus of the pipeline) a minus-one autodecay in honor of Exxon? (I'd also make the tert with Wasilla in it a minus-one in honor of S.P. but that might be too controversial and political, :tongue:) Also if someone could think of something to do with the ANWR that might make for an interesting twist.

I wish I could do something with the graphics, or something more to design this map other than propose the idea, but I'm not all that good with computer graphics...

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
so no one liked my idea enough to even comment? :(

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Wow! you expected me to come to a comment, within 7 hours of your posting :D you have high expectations man! You know... we have a life beyond MC too! (for example, sleep and school/work)

Indeed it is an interesting idea you have posted here. Do you have in mind how the regions are going to turn out (the division) - and can you draft that out in a sketch (you could do it on paper and scan/photograph it)?

One problem posed here that some of the regions are quite small, while the others are in comparison quite large.

Last edited:

svenska18

Awesome Player
I like the map concept and the oil pipeline/ gold mine idea sounds like it would lead to some interesting gameplay. I'll vote for this

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
It was 2 days and 7 hours, KungFu.....

I'll do a bit more research and see if I can't make it a bit more definitive.

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
Couple of reference maps, not that these are great, just posting for ideas:

This is an abandoned "conk" map.
alaskasv6.jpg

He based it off this reference photo:
Alaska_Regional.jpg

And another abandoned "conk" map of Bering Strait.
BeringStraightMapFlatV11.jpg

----------
I like the pipeline idea. But the "lower-right" area has some super small regions. I don't know if you'll get 10 or 15 commands from this map. Maybe like 4 or 6. It's a strange shape, so you may want to utilize the sea, like the Alaskan crab fishing boats or something.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
thanks for the input, Beals. Maybe not 15, but I think we can get between 8 and 10. The southern peninsula would probably be joined into 2 or 3 regions. I still need to hear from Shep as to the auto-win to hear if the pipeline could be incorporated. Maybe if that bug still exists it could be used in some places as an impassable. Also, what to do with the ANWR?

And fishing boats would also be a nice addition.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The basic problem with an Alaska map is that it isn't the most compelling setting. Most folks who aren't from North America won't really care about it, and 99% of Americans have never been there and will never go there. The history of the place isn't exciting, no wars were ever fought there, and the regions are entirely meaningless unless you are one of the few people who live in it.

I'm not an Alaska hater. I've been there and I love it. I would have the same criticism for a map of Manitoba, the counties of North Dakota, or the tourist sites of Eastern Anatolia: it's not going to excite people. Find me a great hook and develop awesome gameplay and I'll get on board, but if we're just talking about a basic medium-sized map, there are many other more compelling settings I'd like to see turned into a map before this one.

mark

Awesome Player
The basic problem with an Alaska map is that it isn't the most compelling setting. Most folks who aren't from North America won't really care about it, and 99% of Americans have never been there and will never go there. The history of the place isn't exciting, no wars were ever fought there, and the regions are entirely meaningless unless you are one of the few people who live in it.

I'm not an Alaska hater. I've been there and I love it. I would have the same criticism for a map of Manitoba, the counties of North Dakota, or the tourist sites of Eastern Anatolia: it's not going to excite people. Find me a great hook and develop awesome gameplay and I'll get on board, but if we're just talking about a basic medium-sized map, there are many other more compelling settings I'd like to see turned into a map before this one.

But you can see Russia from there.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
I was always a fan of that old Bering Sea map, but that's mostly because I've been there. Shep has a good point.