• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Add Indicator to Games Screen that shows you've gone AWOL

jason

Awesome Player
I am typically in 10-12 games, and it would be really helpful to have a notification next to the Turns (or show it as an active prompt as if it is your turn) to remind me to check-in. For example, I have taken all possible turns for the last 3-4 days, but there was a game I just lost that I was AWOL in without realizing it. Some sort of one-button check-in for all AWOL games would be very useful because missing a couple of turns by mistake and then returning to the site and being automatically forced to skip 8 turns while someone pillages you is frustrating.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I agree. Awol games should be highlighted on your games tab

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
This is a bit on the opposite side of improving AWOL; I have had a few instances now where once a loss is imminent, the player will go AWOL. I know it isn't across the board, because I will in fact see them playing other turns in games I am in with them. I feel it is disrespectful, but more importantly really slows down the game and is a pain. I'm not sure what it should be, but could there be some point hit for going AWOL?

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I suspect the Games tab will undergo some changes as a result of comments left over the past few weeks... games don't rank by time left, hard to tell who's in what team, impossible to see if you're awol, etc.

@ spazm: There's merit in coming up with some kind of penalty for missing turns and slowing down games, but I'd like it to be something that is directly related to the infraction. Points are a reflection of one's skill rather than how respectful or reliable a player is, and I can't tell by looking at somebody's score and rank that they have a tendency to miss turns. Taking away diplomacy points would be a bit better, but it's still not perfect. While I hate to add another layer on top of scores, diplomacy, medals, etc, maybe it's worth thinking about some kind of overall player rating that takes into account diplomacy %, turns missed, forum post pluses and minuses, rules infractions, etc. Keep your nose clean, maintain your A rating. ??

coolname

Awesome Player
How about letting AWOL affect ALL the games you are in? Isn't it weird you can be AWOL in one game and still active in another (something Spazm apparently witnessed)? AWOL in 5min/2min games should not count (bad connection could get you AWOL'ed within 10 minutes)

doogin

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
AWOL designation

With the loss of power and internet from Hurricane Sandy I ended up AWOL in several games. The main Games screen does not indicate that you went AWOL in a game. I ended up AWOL for some additional turns because I was relying on the Your Turn button to light up.

Anyway to show your status as AWOL on the Games screen?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
if does 'grey out' your name if you're awol, but you gotta be paying attention to notice it...

northron

Awesome Player
I had the same problem yesterday, I had to drop out of a game and when I came back in I missed my turn because I didn't know that I had to notify the app I was no longer AWOL. Not necessarily something that needs to be fixed, just some feedback from a newbie (this was in my third game).

Buurgen

Awesome Player
My biggest problem with the AWOL setting, is that in a singles game, a player can be awol from the beginning, miss 5 turns, and then come back and place 15+ deferred troops smack in the middle of a game being played as if they were not there. this feature has ruined more than a few of the games i have played, even though i am not always thye player getting screwed, someone is always upset with the return after they have taken a territory from someone who has been playing the entire game and then put down 15+ deferred troops to fortify the location.

Buurgen

Awesome Player
guess my problem is more with deferred troops than with awol.... guess they go hand in hand

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
You're not the first one to point out this; changes have been suggested when the recode of the site is done.

edsdad

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Just finished a game with a total of 20 missed turns.http://www.majorcommand.com/games/256789/

This got me to thinking if and when this missed turn policy is going to be changed.I personally don't do ,but there are players out there who have adopted it as a strategy. I know that it's not technically against the rules but something really needs to be done to address the problem.

edsdad

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Thanks buddy,done.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I think using AWOL as a strategy is crap. I understand someone might miss a turn here or there, but I wouldn't have an issue with once you go AWOL in a game. You shouldn't be rewarded with deferred troops. Your lucky they let you back in at all.

smi

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I think using AWOL as a strategy is crap. I understand someone might miss a turn here or there, but I wouldn't have an issue with once you go AWOL in a game. You shouldn't be rewarded with deferred troops. Your lucky they let you back in at all.

agree 100% someone who is AWOL should have 0 chance at winning the game. It just comes down to abusing that players treat the AWOL like neutral...

Deferred for 1 turn only seems a resonable middle line to me