• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

3 territories = extra troop ???

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
There's some maps that get 1 extra troop per 3 territories...where can you check? I'm sure I've seen something somewhere...

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
isnt this the rule for all maps? territories divided by 3 = deploy (minimum 3)? i am probably misunderstanding you..

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
isnt this the rule for all maps? territories divided by 3 = deploy (minimum 3)? i am probably misunderstanding you..
Misunderstanding. I'm not talking first turn deploy, I'm talking about during the game. Lets say I have 32 terts at some point, I would get 10 troops for deploy (plus any commands), but if I had 33 terts I would get 11 deploy.....It's not all maps.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
Lets say I have 32 terts at some point, I would get 10 troops for deploy (plus any commands), but if I had 33 terts I would get 11 deploy.....It's not all maps.
i am pretty sure this is true on all maps. at least i cannot think of one where it isnt? however, what is arguably a bit unfair in multiplayer games (upwards of 2) is that this division by 3 is in effect from round 1 - so if all players start with 12 territories, and any one player is successfully attacked and thus has below 12 terrs on that first turn, he will only get 3 deploy - instead of the 4 the first player was able to get for sure. in 2 player games the deploy is the same for both players during the first round regardless of actual terrs they hold at the beginning of the turn. i think this is true on all maps too?

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Misunderstanding. I'm not talking first turn deploy, I'm talking about during the game. Lets say I have 32 terts at some point, I would get 10 troops for deploy (plus any commands), but if I had 33 terts I would get 11 deploy.....It's not all maps.
It's a standard feature of all maps.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
however, what is arguably a bit unfair in multiplayer games (upwards of 2) is that this division by 3 is in effect from round 1 - so if all players start with 12 territories, and any one player is successfully attacked and thus has below 12 terrs on that first turn, he will only get 3 deploy - instead of the 4 the first player was able to get for sure. in 2 player games the deploy is the same for both players during the first round regardless of actual terrs they hold at the beginning of the turn. i think this is true on all maps too?

Yes that is the rule.

The rationale is to keep 2 player games as balanced as possible.

In 2 player games, the first player always has the advantage. On some maps, the first player in a 2-player game can have upwards of 60%-70% chance of winning. And that is with giving the second player the same number of troops to deploy as the first. When we initially forgot to include that rule in the new engine, and the first players was able to reduce the second player's troops after attacking, then the win/loss percentage went through the roof.

In a multiplayer game (2+ players), the rational is two-fold:
  1. c'est la vie. Sometimes you're first, sometimes you're last, sometimes you're in between.
  2. the game always seems to balance out after a couple rounds. Being last and deploying less troops doesn't actually disadvantage you. As far as I remember, the winning position on games with more than 2 players is about evenly distribute to every starting position. Though it might vary with some maps like 12D (I'm only guessing, I'd have to check). But It's never something that's come up and as far as I know, it's pretty even the way it is.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers

It's all maps. If you have 33 terts, you get 11 troops. If you have 32, you get 10.

If you find something different, report it, because that would be a bug!

Thx. :)

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
In a multiplayer game (2+ players), the rational is two-fold:
  1. c'est la vie. Sometimes you're first, sometimes you're last, sometimes you're in between.
  2. the game always seems to balance out after a couple rounds. Being last and deploying less troops doesn't actually disadvantage you. As far as I remember, the winning position on games with more than 2 players is about evenly distribute to every starting position. Though it might vary with some maps like 12D (I'm only guessing, I'd have to check). But It's never something that's come up and as far as I know, it's pretty even the way it is.
yes makes perfect sense, and i dont think this needs changing. i used to play a lot 1vs1 & was just used to full deploy in rnd 1 so that the difference in multiplayer games initially took me by surprise a couple of times. i agree in 1vs1 same deploy is indispensable, but i like the way it is in multiplayer, perfectly alright to create disadvantages for your opponents, thats usually the point anyway :)

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
yes makes perfect sense, and i dont think this needs changing. i used to play a lot 1vs1 & was just used to full deploy in rnd 1 so that the difference in multiplayer games initially took me by surprise a couple of times. i agree in 1vs1 same deploy is indispensable, but i like the way it is in multiplayer, perfectly alright to create disadvantages for your opponents, thats usually the point anyway :)
On the old system, there was a way to set up a 1v1 game whereby whoever went first received half deployment on the first move (rounded up, if I remember rightly). It didn't much matter -- Welshmaz still beat me on the Europe Massive map almost all the time... lol (I don't remember ever beating him, though he says I did...)

In any case, I don't believe that setting transferred to the new post-Flash system.

-MTH