• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

1984 1984 - game features not explained

Schizolocal

Awesome Player
I have just joined and then immediately dropped out of a game before it started based on the 1984 map because on investigation of the game features for the map, a link labelled "Auto-deploy, floating fortresses, rocket bombs" provided no help at all.

The brief in the game summary makes all three of these into a single link which gets you to the list of game features where only Auto-deploy is mentioned. In the specific 1984 map page, the three links are separate but I still don't know what Floating Fortresses or Rocket Bombs are or how they operate. Even Auto-deploy is only explained very briefly.

Can you elucidate?

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Hi Schizo! Welcome to MajCom!

The maps are explained within each game in the 'Brief'-Tab, so you don't need to go to the Wiki at all.
The floating fortress and rocket bombs are only available in the 1984-map, so they are not mentioned as features in the wiki. Your best bet is playing someone with experience on the map who can walk you trough it. I'd be happy to join a game with you and explain the map and the MajCom-features in general :)

Edit: spelling

Last edited by a moderator:

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Rocket Bombs is the bomber plane over the Atlantic Ocean
Floating Fortresses are the aircraft carriers in the Indian & Pacific Oceans

Seconding Sebrim's suggestion, best way to learn is to play a few practice 1v1 games. Sebs knows the in's & out's!

Most complex MajorCommand maps: 1) Nukes; 2) 12 Domains; 3) 1984

This being one of the most complex maps, recommend familiarizing yourself with overall gameplay on other maps first.

luiscasanova

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Old Soldiers Club
The Wiki Bar
Interesting. I've played this map a few times and I have never seen anybody use the bomber or the fortress. Supposedly you control them when you hold Eurasia or Ocenia respectively, but they go back to neutral? How comes? Even if you are still holding the commands?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Interesting. I've played this map a few times and I have never seen anybody use the bomber or the fortress. Supposedly you control them when you hold Eurasia or Ocenia respectively, but they go back to neutral? How comes? Even if you are still holding the commands?

I'm not sure of the rationale, but it's the same thing as happens to the dragons in 12D, after your turn they go neutral again.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm

They go back to Neutral because the troops aren't "Yours", they are merely attackers. They can't be advanced or reinforced, only bombard (nor can they be attacked). I like Cards' comparison to the Dragons in 12D which revert to neutral after turn, rather than when someone takes away Draig Tower.

You also mention "still holding the command'. Well in 1984, even if a player occupies all terts in a Superstate command, they may not necessarily be entitled to the bonus, if they are holding the terts with one troop. In such a case, the terts will revert to neutral, and no bonus will be awarded (even if Intel tab indicates otherwise).

You don't see many people hold those commands because they are so powerful.....large deploy bonus PLUS the extra attackers on the Bomber/Fortresses.

Last edited:

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
I have just joined and then immediately dropped out of a game before it started based on the 1984 map because on investigation of the game features for the map, a link labelled "Auto-deploy, floating fortresses, rocket bombs" provided no help at all.

The brief in the game summary makes all three of these into a single link which gets you to the list of game features where only Auto-deploy is mentioned. In the specific 1984 map page, the three links are separate but I still don't know what Floating Fortresses or Rocket Bombs are or how they operate. Even Auto-deploy is only explained very briefly.

Can you elucidate?

Thanks for pointing out the Wiki update needed. Created a Floating Fortresses & Rocket Bombs entry.

The other entries relevant to 1984 are Killer Neutrals, Bombardment, One Way Attacks, and Decay (yes, one of most complicated maps).

Last edited:

jeweettoch

Awesome Player
Maybe im a little slow but i still dont really get it ....
Also i cant really find an answer to Schizo his starting question. How do i operate them?

This i think i understand:
- Rocket Bombs is the bomber plane over the Atlantic Ocean
- Floating Fortresses are the aircraft carriers in the Indian & Pacific Oceans
- back to neutral if held by only 1army in martial law states.

What i dont get is the control part.
Say i hold Eurasia. Now its my turn. I control rocket bomb.
- what can do + how do it?

Please advise.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Maybe im a little slow but i still dont really get it ....
Also i cant really find an answer to Schizo his starting question. How do i operate them?

This i think i understand:
- Rocket Bombs is the bomber plane over the Atlantic Ocean
- Floating Fortresses are the aircraft carriers in the Indian & Pacific Oceans
- back to neutral if held by only 1army in martial law states.

What i dont get is the control part.
Say i hold Eurasia. Now its my turn. I control rocket bomb.
- what can do + how do it?

Please advise.

It becomes active if you hold Eurasia command at beginning of next turn. Twelve troops get auto-deployed on it. You can bombard the two territories where there is a line from the bomber.

Anyway, fun to learn by playing!