• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

1 vs 1 Tourney...Double elimination... Lose 2 and you're out...

Tie breaker

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sannheten

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
I am in. Any map.
Will vote for escalate.
Escalate compensates better than escalite/flat for the first turn advantage. (An advantage that can take the fun away from 1v1.

sannheten

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Or. The tourney could be set up so that we play every oponent twice. One game with 1st turn and one going second.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
Or. The tourney could be set up so that we play every oponent twice. One game with 1st turn and one going second.
good idea. i much prefer having two games where everyone gets a 1st turn rather than making all games escalate, as 1st turn advantage remains an issue regardless.
but how to set this up? play everyone twice on different maps, or twice on the same map? if on the same map, and the outcome is a (maybe likely) 1-1, i guess it would be possible to play a series of double games until a winner is decided (3-1, 4-2, 5-3 etc), but this would extend the tourney significantly. could be fun? i dont know? an advantage to playing multiple games on a single map would be that then we could also let the players individually decide on which settings they want to play with rather than deciding this globally: each player decides on the settings for one of the two games

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
good idea. i much prefer having two games where everyone gets a 1st turn rather than making all games escalate, as 1st turn advantage remains an issue regardless.
but how to set this up? play everyone twice on different maps, or twice on the same map? if on the same map, and the outcome is a (maybe likely) 1-1, i guess it would be possible to play a series of double games until a winner is decided (3-1, 4-2, 5-3 etc), but this would extend the tourney significantly. could be fun? i dont know? an advantage to playing multiple games on a single map would be that then we could also let the players individually decide on which settings they want to play with rather than deciding this globally: each player decides on the settings for one of the two games
To ensure that each get a 1st turn advantage could you not if the (person who is supposed to go first did not start first) have the 1st player miss their first turn, and the 2nd player is now going first, and then when the first player goes to take their turn, they don't deploy deferred troops?

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
To ensure that each get a 1st turn advantage could you not if the (person who is supposed to go first did not start first) have the 1st player miss their first turn, and the 2nd player is now going first, and then when the first player goes to take their turn, they don't deploy deferred troops?
absolutely. but if we were to play 2 games per map, and both players win one of those two games, then a tiebreaker is needed. since a third game would give one player 1st turn advantage, it should be a set of two games again, so that both players get 1st turn again. and so on.

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
absolutely. but if we were to play 2 games per map, and both players win one of those two games, then a tiebreaker is needed. since a third game would give one player 1st turn advantage, it should be a set of two games again, so that both players get 1st turn again. and so on.
Agreed.

sannheten

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
What if we deal with the first turn advantage by saying that the player going first only is allowed to deploy half of the deploy and not attack. That is that there will only be one game between each pair. And we will not have the challenge with tie breaker etc

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter

or they can just start their turn and not deploy (not play and let the hour run down...) that's another way to make sure both players start first without re-creating a million games and dealing with deferred troops...either or....makes no difference.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
What if we deal with the first turn advantage by saying that the player going first only is allowed to deploy half of the deploy and not attack. That is that there will only be one game between each pair. And we will not have the challenge with tie breaker etc
i have never tried this, but what happens if the deploy is an uneven number?
personally i would favour a minimum of two games per map where everyone gets 1st turn, and i wouldnt mind a series of eventual tiebreakers. i think if every player gets to bring his favourite settings to the maps this could turn into an interesting & satisfying challenge, might generate some unusual games outside of one's comfort zone. but maybe most of those games would be set up as 1 path escalate anyway :) so i am ok with anything.

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
i have never tried this, but what happens if the deploy is an uneven number?
personally i would favour a minimum of two games per map where everyone gets 1st turn, and i wouldnt mind a series of eventual tiebreakers. i think if every player gets to bring his favourite settings to the maps this could turn into an interesting & satisfying challenge, might generate some unusual games outside of one's comfort zone. but maybe most of those games would be set up as 1 path escalate anyway :) so i am ok with anything.
I like the idea 1 home 1 away...How do you get both guys going first easily?

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
I like the idea 1 home 1 away...How do you get both guys going first easily?
If we can figure that out we could do same map but home team sets everything...

Stormcat

Awesome Player
maybe something like if same player gets to go first in the second game, abandon it and try starting another, and keep trying till the correct player gets to go first?

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
i think engineer & peri gave a good solution:
or they can just start their turn and not deploy (not play and let the hour run down...) that's another way to make sure both players start first without re-creating a million games and dealing with deferred troops...either or....makes no difference.
on autodeploy maps the turn would have to be missed altogether though

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Oh yes...that is true about autodeploy

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
17 spots left

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
17 spots left
OK, I'm not sure how a triple elimination tourney will work with playing the same player twice. No way I can set up a schedule for that.
And I can only find a 16 player triple elimination. Will need to have 2 brackets of 16...Then we need to figure out what maps to play. And going first is just luck...
Or maybe we do a round robin playing the 2 games against 1 opponent. Not sure how to keep score...
Playing elim needs no scoring...
I dunno, need everybody's input.
Thanks

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
OK, I'm not sure how a triple elimination tourney will work with playing the same player twice. No way I can set up a schedule for that.
And I can only find a 16 player triple elimination. Will need to have 2 brackets of 16...Then we need to figure out what maps to play. And going first is just luck...
Or maybe we do a round robin playing the 2 games against 1 opponent. I still like this idea. Not sure how to keep score...
Thanks
View: https://media.giphy.com/media/X67mXGr3dWd4Vi94M3/giphy.gif

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council

sannheten

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Or maybe we do a round robin playing the 2 games against 1 opponent. Not sure how to keep score...
Thanks
Managing a triple elimination tourney sounds hard. A double round-robin is easier to organize? I see that there are setups to be found online. For me, it is ok if you just decide and that you emphasize that it is manageable to organize. It is also okay if you decide that the advantage of going first should be considered luck. It will even out to some extent when we play a lot of games.