• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

1984 1984 Map and Eliminations

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The 1984 map has been out for a few weeks now, and I'm still seeing confusions around the auto-decays and eliminations. In the future I will refer users here.

The map was set up so that players with 1 troop in particular regions would see those regions revert to neutral to begin a turn. This would theoretically make it possible for a player to be eliminated at the start of their turn. In some situations this would be fine, but what happens in a Mercenary game? Who gets that players points if the server causes the elimination?

Here's what we've observed:

In both Assassin and Mercenary games, the server appears to eliminate a player, then thinks better of it and puts the troops on the superstate territories back to 1s. So server-eliminations do NOT occur in assassin and mercenary games.

In standard games, the server will eliminate a player in certain conditions: 1v1 games, and multiplayer games in which there are only two remaining players. We have also observed that the server will not eliminate a player in standard game if there are multiple players still alive; this is probably because there are no rules set up in the game engine for what to do with the players reserves in such a scenario.

In my opinion, this is a workable situation pending the release of the new game engine. Games in which a server elimination result in what was a foregone conclusion anyway allow server eliminations. Games in which a server elimination hand a game to a player or in which the awarding of points or reserves is left unresolved will not allow server eliminations.

When the game engine is rebuilt, we can address the inconsistencies.

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Good to know and thanks for the clarification,

While impatiently waiting for the new game engine, I guess those tactical points should just be taken into consideration by every player when playing on this map.

Nice work Shepherd.

Hortik

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
We have also observed that the server will not eliminate a player in standard game if there are multiple players still alive; this is probably because there are no rules set up in the game engine for what to do with the players reserves in such a scenario.

I'm not sure I understand everything you wrote.

I had a game like that, and I did get eliminated with multiple players still alive. My cards just disappeared (as expected, I think).
Here is the game:
https://www.majorcommand.com/games/402062/

And the Africa map has the same auto-decay function which I think works as expexted (though I think I've never seen it on Assassin or Mercenary) ... doesn't/shouldn't this map work in the same way?

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
ok, since i joined an assassin game on this map - it still holds true that the server *will not* eliminate a player reduced to singles in territories under martial law yes?
(but it really should)

Last edited:

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
ok, since i joined an assassin game on this map - it still holds true that the server *will not* eliminate a player reduced to singles in territories under martial law yes?
(but it really should)

I believe that to be true and agree, it should end the game.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
it still holds true that the server *will not* eliminate a player reduced to singles in territories under martial law yes?

I think a player WILL get eliminated by auto-decay. Please see BadElmer's and my comment above.

Also, if you want we can play a quick test game in beta to see if it works.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
I'm in. We need one more person.

Roscokov

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
I have won a number of games when my opponent has auto-decayed in Africa but in line with what shepherd said it would have either been a head 2 head or we were the last two left.

I am also sure I have seen players "disappear" mid round because of the auto decay when the game still carries on though. (I am even more sure I have never seen anyone survive in that situation)

My games are a "relatively" small sample size though.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I have won a number of games when my opponent has auto-decayed in Africa but in line with what shepherd said it would have either been a head 2 head or we were the last two left.

I am also sure I have seen players "disappear" mid round because of the auto decay when the game still carries on though. (I am even more sure I have never seen anyone survive in that situation)

My games are a "relatively" small sample size though.

I can't remember, but in the forums a couple months back. Someone was talking about how in an assassins game a player had his target down to a single in a decay zone and said player didn't die on his turn and someone else won and there were bad feelings between the two players. Almost positive it was on Assassins 1984 map.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Almost positive it was on Assassins 1984 map.

Let's find that comment. I'm curious, because I'd assume it works as it should. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roscokov

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
https://www.majorcommand.com/games/471436/

If Ndrm gets his shot in this one we will find out.

Ironically enough - if ndrm does die then augie will win and augie is in almost exactly the same position but goes straight after him. although he has 3 singles that will be eliminated if he starts his turn.

In this instance is it better for ndrm to just miss his turn? (especially as it is quite hard to tell and his target might even be augie)

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
https://www.majorcommand.com/games/471436/

If Ndrm gets his shot in this one we will find out.

Ironically enough - if ndrm does die then augie will win and augie is in almost exactly the same position but goes straight after him. although he has 3 singles that will be eliminated if he starts his turn.

In this instance is it better for ndrm to just miss his turn? (especially as it is quite hard to tell and his target might even be augie)

ndrm31 was allowed to deploy. He did not die. Augie killed him off on the next move. So now we know. Good game by the way.Augie, congrats

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
ndrm31 was allowed to deploy. He did not die. Augie killed him off on the next move. So now we know. Good game by the way.Augie, congrats

ah ok. so it seems this is luckily different in the new engine. would have also been interesting to see what would have happened in augies case, but i guess all singles would have remained intact.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
In my opinion, this is a workable situation pending the release of the new game engine. Games in which a server elimination result in what was a foregone conclusion anyway allow server eliminations. Games in which a server elimination hand a game to a player or in which the awarding of points or reserves is left unresolved will not allow server eliminations.

One other benefit of Not allowing server eliminations in 1984 Assassin games:

Sometimes a player will angrily suicide, and burn their troops to singles because they are unhappy about x, y, or z. I have seen this in a very recent Assassin game (on another map). On any other map, that player's assassin must still take out those single terts, and opponents have a chance to prevent the assassin from reaching their target. If server eliminations were enabled in 1984 Assassin games, the suicider would be able to directly hand the game to their attacker. In no other map is it possible for a player to explicitly decide the game in favor of their attacker.

More of Shep's wisdom.

Last edited:

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
In standard games, the server will eliminate a player in certain conditions: 1v1 games, and multiplayer games in which there are only two remaining players. We have also observed that the server will not eliminate a player in standard game if there are multiple players still alive; this is probably because there are no rules set up in the game engine for what to do with the players reserves in such a scenario.

I have been party to Standard multi-player Singles games where server eliminations were possible with multiple players remaining, and reserve cards held by eliminated player. (the cards vanished, and were not awarded to anyone) I'm not sure I would trust a server elim with more than one player remaining if the game depended on it, but have seen it.
https://www.majorcommand.com/games/511630/
https://www.majorcommand.com/games/516737/
https://www.majorcommand.com/games/508610/